4 point harness w/o bar (cross post)

Make your baby look great!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

4 point harness w/o bar (cross post)

Post by Mr Kleen »

Shameless Cross Link

I'd love to have a 4 or 5 point harness but can't live with a harness bar. might this be what I'm looking for? (well, minus the $500 price tag for a pair...)

thoughts?
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Re: 4 point harness w/o bar (cross post)

Post by hotsam »

Mr Kleen wrote:Shameless Cross Link

I'd love to have a 4 or 5 point harness but can't live with a harness bar. might this be what I'm looking for? (well, minus the $500 price tag for a pair...)

thoughts?
Spine compressor?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

that's what i thought at first but others disagree and Schroth is a name brand safety equipment manufacturer. i also worry about a 4/5 point harness without a suitable roll cage installed for street driving.

meh. I'll just use that $500 towards coilovers next spring.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

actually a pretty neat idea. is it legal to have such a device in your car if you were ever to get pulled over though?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

they're not for use on the road, only for track or autoX use. in the event of a serious accident you can't slide sideways out of the way of a crushing roof.

I'd love to have a set for track days but $500 is more than a NASA HPDE track weekend or 1/3 the cost of a set of coilovers. :(
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Mr Kleen wrote:they're not for use on the road, only for track or autoX use. in the event of a serious accident you can't slide sideways out of the way of a crushing roof.

I'd love to have a set for track days but $500 is more than a NASA HPDE track weekend or 1/3 the cost of a set of coilovers. :(
Harnesses make a huge difference in racing events. If you haven't used them before, you'll be amazed at how much effort you expend just keeping your torso upright during hard cornering, etc. You really exert a huge effort hanging on to the wheel, with your leg against the door, and so on. As an exercise, next time you're tearing ass around a track, bring your wife along and watch her moving around (assuming she doesn't have a harness). You'll see how much a person moves around when they don't have their hands and arms locked onto the wheel.

So installing a harness can actually improve your lap times substantially if you don't have one already. Just a thought. By the by, these harnesses have been around for a while. We had them on a 95 Neon ACR back when we were doing SSD.