EJ20G out of RS into RS Tips Needed

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

LGT Wagon Guy
I walk to work

EJ20G out of RS into RS Tips Needed

Post by LGT Wagon Guy »

Ok, so I've just come across this amazing deal through a friend that in the end will result in me pulling an EJ20G out of his 00RS and putting it straight into my 00RS. Now, I've done motor swaps before (on Hondas), so I'm not at all phased by the mechanics of it all and I know the fundamental parts that will need to come over to my car from the doner. Still, I need some sort of a definitive list of parts that will NEED to be transplanted from the other car to mine in order for this to happen over the course of 3 days without a hitch (I know that I'm pushing it).

From what I've read, I need:

Motor
Crossmember
Engine Harness (motor to ECU)
ECU

What else do I need? Remember, this is coming OUT of an 00RS and going into an 00RS, so all of the wiring harness in his car is already merged and in working order. I should just be able to pull it all right out and put it right into mine... right?
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Cool project you got planned. I am assuming the other engine is in better shape than yours, or else why do the swap right?

If it is the same engine, I don't see why you are going to need the crossmember, or his ECU. I must be missing somethingb/c it seems like a straight swap, same engine to same engine.

Heads and block only, or lifting the whole enchilada(with oil/water/PS pumps, oil pan...)?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I think he's pulling out the swapped motor from his buddy's car and dropping it into his stock motor car, right?
LGT Wagon Guy
I walk to work

Post by LGT Wagon Guy »

Yup yup. I shoulda made that clear...

Doner car has a JDM EJ20G
My car has the stock slowness
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Now I understand the ECU bit... :idea:

First thing that comes to mind is the fuel system (pump pressure/volume, return diaphram, temp sensor). If those are exactly the same, then sweet.

Next thing is block-tranny alignment pins. Some may get tweeked, or have pulled out on the removal. Between the two cars, you should be able to pick up enough.

Take the chance to swap out engine/pitch mounts for something stiffer.

Maybe take off the oil pan and clear out sludge in the accessible oil journals...

I don't know. I havn't done it yet.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

must see pics of the car when this is done. i alwyas love to see more sexy GC8s
LGT Wagon Guy
I walk to work

Post by LGT Wagon Guy »

Toukon (the car) last weekend.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

very sexy. ill let you know if i end up with that GC8. i'd love to do a JDM engine swap myself if i owned it.