O2 Sensor on Exhaust

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

O2 Sensor on Exhaust

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

A side-effect of my trip to Don Beyer today is the confirmation that the CEL I've experienced intermittently for the last couple years is in fact caused by the TurboXS turbo-back exhaust that I have (as I suspected).

What are the options to relocate / modify the sensor to avoid the error code? Any suggestions? I seem to recall some solution being the use of a spacer to "pull" the sensor out of the air stream. Anyone know where to get one of these spacers?

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: O2 Sensor on Exhaust

Post by Sabre »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:A side-effect of my trip to Don Beyer today is the confirmation that the CEL I've experienced intermittently for the last couple years is in fact caused by the TurboXS turbo-back exhaust that I have (as I suspected).

What are the options to relocate / modify the sensor to avoid the error code? Any suggestions? I seem to recall some solution being the use of a spacer to "pull" the sensor out of the air stream. Anyone know where to get one of these spacers?

--Alan
I've heard of sparkplug spacers doing the trick and there is always the resistor fix. Definitely do a search on NASIOC :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

an AccessPort will fix it. :wink: but just make sure the AP has the 1.30 maps loaded already. for some reason I can't get my AP to load the new 1.30 maps... :roll:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

The "Mechanical Fix" method of using spark plug anti foulers (NASIOC) wll get the O2 sensor out of the direct flow. I previously had a Pony Express MIL eliminator soldered onto the ECU wiring to get rid of the cat inefficiency code. Problem with that and other resistor or cap fixes is that some ECUs won't complete the diagnostics on the emissions or O2 monitoring system. That might not be a problem for some people, but if you have to get an emissions test and they read the OBDII port, you won't pass b/c the system tests are incomplete.

The anti-fouler plugs step around this and let the ECU complete its diagnostics. One drawback of using them is corrosion. I was driving Thursday and had the CEL come on. I was playing with different fuels and trims, so I thought it was that. Turned out to be P-0136 (IIRC) which is an indicator of the O2 sensor having problems. I cleared the code, but then it came back. I got under the car and unscrewed the sensor along with the mechanical fix. The "spacers" were heavily corroded and flakes of rust were all around the O2 sensor. I tapped the sensor to remove the rust and put it back on the TXS cat pipe. Code went away.

I think that the rust flakes had gotten in to the sensors screen and caused abnormal readings of the sensor as the resistance of the substrate was changed by the physical contact of the rusted metal flakes.

The ECU passed all emissions and O2 sensor tests, and I took it in for VA Safety and Emissions testing. With the fuel mix that I had in there, I didn’t even need the water injection to pass the inpection.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

^^ Well, that pretty much seals it. I'm going to try the spacer fix. Time to do some searching in NASIOC for the right parts, etc.

--Alan
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424666 look at post #22 on down. If you want to see them or test out my rusted ones call me at NOVA.403.9659 and we can meet up this afternoon and I can bring my tools.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

zaxrex wrote:With the fuel mix that I had in there, I didn’t even need the water injection to pass the inpection.
curious, what did you use?
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

89 octane, e-85, & 50/50 mix of methanol and distilled water.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

schvin wrote:
zaxrex wrote:With the fuel mix that I had in there, I didn’t even need the water injection to pass the inpection.
curious, what did you use?
Haha, I love that avatar... A friend had shown me that last week and I had thought of using it :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Just in case anyone ever needs to pass the "sniffer" test in VA and you don't have access to e-85 or methanol. Try this:
Fuelon Power: www.fuelon.com
This is how I passed with one hi-flow cat.
Run your tank down to about 1/4. Add at least twice as much fuelon as it says (it has a measuring section w/ 1, 2, 3, 4, I throw in at least 2-3)
Let it mix with the gas for about a day.
Run the car for about 1/2 hour to get it nice and hot a.k.a. get the cat to light on.
Go get emissions done.

These were my readings back in march of '04:
Idle:
HC ppm: 56 / 110 limit
CO%: .00 / .75 limit
dilution 14.9

2500 RPM
HC ppm: 18 / 110 limit
CO%: .00 / .17 limit
dilution 15