KingPin's stock block STi numbers

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

Tarmac02
I walk to work

KingPin's stock block STi numbers

Post by Tarmac02 »

This is a bit old but I wanted to post this up here for everyone to drool over. The guys at KingPin are good friends of the Junkies. Our latest raffle had a free ECU reflash via EcuTek from Clark. Yes these are stock block and stock internals on this car. Mike's RHD STi runs a very similar setup to this.

KINGPIN wrote:This is a short post letting you guys know the results of our latest Customer.
Here are the graphs.

The details:

Bone stock 05 sti arrived at the shop on Thursday for the install. Rich is the owners name and he drove the car from San diego for the install and stayed in a nice resort while we installed the kit.

Kingpin GT35R 700hp turbo. 1.06 AR turbine
Kingpin 1000hp FMIC
Perrin Big MAF intake
Tial 44mm gate
HPC coated up and down pipe
3inch downpipe
Greddy EVO 2 cat back
Perrin rails
PE 850CC injectors
Walbro pump
Utec

All other parts on car where stock aside from some Tien Flex coil overs and Whiteline sway bars.

This car we chose to run the 1.06 AR GT conical discharge turbine housing. The last car was a .82 GT housing. Initial thoughts on this 1.06 turbine is that you are slightly better off with the .82 on the stock motor and on pump gas. The VE was up as we required less advance and fuel to produce more power up top. Midrange was down a bit. Maybe 20whp and 20ft lbs at 3-4k. rpm. Its hard to say anything without further study as the last car was dyno tested at 20% humidity and this one was dyno tested in the rain at 70%. It was raining for three days and stopped just as we put the car on the dyno on sta night. This hurt power for us as our intake charge is so cold the extra water in the air was a hinderance. Still.. The .82 on the GT35R is probably the better way to go on a stock motor. The 1.06 only flows a bit more and that flow only happens at higher PRs. A race motor with more cam, more comp and higher rpm will really shine with the 1.06.

On straight Truck stop 91 octane fuel the car put down 405whp and just under 400ft lbs of trq. This was 19-21 psi through the run and we did probably 35 pulls. The map was way different with this housing and we ran out of fuel on the dyno and stopped. I dont really feel this car had more in it on pump gas. We hit 423 on a pull but got some knock. At 405whp it was as safe as can be with EGT in the 850C range. I believe the .82 car did more because of the conditions and the possibility that it was just a stronger engine. We notice alot of variance in the 2.5's.

On C16 fuel with in 10 pulls we where sitting at 526whp and over 500ft lbs of trq. This was at 30 psi all the way to redline and EGT in the 890C range. AFR was still a bit rich and timing was 4-5 degrees back of the last car we tuned with the .82. We tried one more pull at 31 psi and actualy got a 1 count in knock at 5300 rpm and aborted the run. It was on its way to 535-540whp. This is the only time the car ever showed any knock. It could have been false due to the knock settings be to sensitive for this much power but we chose and the owner chose to stop here.

Notes:

We tested IC temps and what we found was simply amazing. The air at the TB at 30 psi was actualy 5 degrees colder then the ambient temp. This is over 100% efficiency. Several of us put our hands at the outlet of the HKS BOV and felt cold air blow off at 30 psi. Cold air. People watching and testing where amazed to say the least. I can let Travis come along and post more data about how this Turbo system and IC work as he did most of the testing.

I finally got to meet Alfriedesq. He was in town doing EVO tuning and stopped by the dyno at midnight to watch and to meet us. He witnessed the car slamming out 526whp. When we met he said "your got ****ing balls dude" :) He seemed to love the kit and the setup and the power and that makes me feel good as I respect the mans opinion. I think he wants a larger turbine now :)

The car made 300whp at 9 fricken psi. 14 psi it made 316whp. All on 91 octane. Honestly at 14 psi the car had enough power to match the car. At 17 psi the car makes a super safe 380whp. I drove the car around at 18 psi and felt that it was a bit over the top for the stock car. Lucky for Rich, he has suspension but it does need some tuning.

Mike and I programed the AVCR boost controller on the road for about 20 minutes. We ran probably 4 pulls to through 5th gear at 28-30 psi. Car never knocked and on road EGT was around 870-890C. The front sure track diff is over worked at this power level and we get some trq steer in 4th and 5th gear. You need both hands on the wheel at all times on boost or you will lose it and crash. Its realy excesive power for most cases. It rips through 5th gear like the stock car does 3rd. Trust me.. This car will trap 125-130mph.

Once again the updated 05 Fuel system shows its merrit. A single walbro was plenty of fuel with the perrin rails and 850 injectors.

The Utec is starting to show its limitations. The maps are not fine enough and it makes running the correct amount of timing very difficult. I wish I had twice the resolution and if I did the car would have been a bit better off. The car runs through the 30-100 load rows so fast that its near impossible to get smooth timing transitions. Fueling worked perfectly and we did not find issue. But the timing map needs to go to 200 on the load row :)

The AVCR is a must have on this kind of setup. We tried a Profec B spec 2 and its jut not cut out for this kind of setup. The AVCR holds 30 psi from within .5 psi all the way out. You are not going to do that with a non mappable boost control.

This car is getting a built 2.4 ltr with heads and cams shortly along with 4.44 gears and some updated diffs. Probably do a clutch also.

I do not believe the stock motor has much more power in it. The last two setups we did ended up close to this number and this is about all your going to do. The larger turbine helped a bit up top but not much. The compressor is pushing a BIG maf to 4.9 and 5.0 volts which means its flowing 60 something lbs of air. Without going to a more efficient motor I just dont see alot more power happening out of the stock motor. I may eat my words later on but I am starting to think 600whp is out of reach for the stock engine. Maybe our T04R kit will get closer and we should find out next week when we dyno tune Mikes car.

Next week is Mikes car with a T04R kit and 2.5 ltr with CP pistons from Crawford. Mike has V7 big port heads which will help. We want 600whp from this setup and will push it to 35 psi.

Week after is my car with GT35R 1.06 turbine. I have a stock 2.5 bottom end with V7 type RA heads and V limited cams. I will push mine to 30-33 psi.

Three weeks is a customers car that started out as a stock V7 STI engine and GT3040. Before we tuned it the plans changed and now the car is getting a full Crawford Long block. 2.4 closed deck, Cams, head work ect.. This will be a 9000 rpm screamer. Also running the GT35R 1.06 turbine. We suspect and easy 550-600whp on this car at 35 psi.

After that my car is getting a GT40R as I thought it would be fun to play around with that. I am going to use the T04 housing version if probably .8 AR. I would love to see 600whp on that stock bottom end.

I will be checking email while I am out of town if anyone has any questions. Use C_turner@ix.netcom.com. Mike will add graphs later today or tomorrow. AZ dyno chip is closed on mondays so we might not be able to get the Charts until Tuesday.

Cya

Clark
This is where witty statements usually go.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

<runs to grab some tissue> That graph should come with a Not Work Safe warning! </runs to grab some tissue> DAMN nice numbers. I'm still amazed that the stock block is able to handle all this power that people are making.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Tarmac02
I walk to work

Post by Tarmac02 »

I'll remember to label NWS next time
This is where witty statements usually go.