Oil Leak?

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Oil Leak?

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Okay, this may not be enough information for a good analysis, but maybe you guys can provide some possible things to look at ...

On Saturday I noticed the rather strong smell of burning oil when driving through Bethesda. At first I thought it was coming from the car in front of me. But after that car turned off the street and the smell was just as strong, I started to get worried. Long story short, there's a leak somewhere in my engine that is probably dripping onto a hot engine part. When I pop the hood, faint wisps of white smoke come up from the turbo area (there's nothing actually dripping onto the turbo thankfully - I saw that video of the VW going up in flames). I haven't taken the time to get under the car to take a look - not to mention the engine is usually *quite* hot at these times - but I have an appointment with Don Beyer Subaru on Wednesday.

I'm just hoping I can arm myself with some ideas / suggestions as to what to look for. Any ideas?

Also, I've got a nail in my front driver's side tire that I'm going to ask them to remove and plug. Anyone know how much something like that costs?

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hey Alan :)
I take it you can't find the source of the leak? You should be able to find a spot with residue or a stain. The dealership should be able to find it pretty quick, so just make sure to check your oil level until tomorrow... lol, guess it isn't that long to worry about it. The tire patch shouldn't be too much, probably less than 60$.

BTW, glad to see that you are going to The Don ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

White smoke is evident of coolant. Blue smoke is oil. Next time the engine bay is cool, take a look around the turbo in case any lines have come loose. Might be a leak at a bango bolt or something. Hard to say.

As for the tire. I have a plug kit if you're interested in getting a cheap/easy fix. I've had one in my back left tire for a couple of months with no issues. In fact, I probably should rotate my tires now that I think about it.

Are you noticing any puddles or stains under the car after it sits? Specifically after you've smelled evidence of a leak? Have you checked your coolant and oil levels?

Let us know what the dealership finds.

AJ
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

NTB and Merchants do tire patches for $15, with a warranty on the patch. If you bought road-hazard coverage at The Tire Rack you fill out the paperwork after the fact and they reimburse you.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Okay so it turns out that the burning smell is from the axel boot melting due to heat from the downpipe. Not sure how this could've just started happening on Saturday when I've had the TBE on the car for nearly three years.

Well, this leads me to another question which is best directed to the exhaust forum ...

--Alan
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Did you loose much axle grease? When I was changing wheels one day, I found this grey black stuff all around the inside of the rim. Statrted looking around, and saw that the boot had a tear in it and the grease was flung out around the wheel.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears