AP Problems... Help (especially you Gabe)

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

GeneralGrievous
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

AP Problems... Help (especially you Gabe)

Post by GeneralGrievous »

Well fellas my AP came today and I've been trying to get it married and running but I'm running into a problem. I keep getting a Low Voltage error when it attempts to initialize the "Married Stock" as first (and therefore Base) map. I noticed listed in the instructions that the 04 and 02-03 use a Init connector as well as connecting the green test mode plugs. Obviously since I have an 05 I dont have a connector included with the AP... Is there such an animal and is my not having it causing my low voltage error? :crazy:

PS: I've disconnected the ginormous amp wire from the battery thinking that was pulling voltage but no dice...

THANKS as always....
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I have no knowledge in these matters, but am willing to learn when you get it figured out...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

GeneralGrievous wrote:Well fellas my AP came today and I've been trying to get it married and running but I'm running into a problem. I keep getting a Low Voltage error when it attempts to initialize the "Married Stock" as first (and therefore Base) map. I noticed listed in the instructions that the 04 and 02-03 use a Init connector as well as connecting the green test mode plugs. Obviously since I have an 05 I dont have a connector included with the AP... Is there such an animal and is my not having it causing my low voltage error? :crazy:

PS: I've disconnected the ginormous amp wire from the battery thinking that was pulling voltage but no dice...

THANKS as always....
You need to use a connector and I believe this is the cause of your problem. You need to call whoever you bought it from or COBB and get the connector :wink:

With all COBB APs if bought from a vendor or other party, you should ALWAYS check the site for updates to software and documentation.

http://www.accessecu.com/support/ap-usersguide-wrx.pdf

WARNING:
Before beginning, please verify your vehicle is in proper working order
and is properly maintained. It is also imperative that the battery be
fully charged and in good condition. If the battery voltage drops
below an acceptable amount during the reprogramming process,
the ECU will be damaged and cannot be recovered. Your vehicle will
not run if this occurs. Avoid all electrical noise that may interfere
with the sensitive communication between the AccessPORT and the
ECU. Any interference may result in a programming failure and
damage to your ECU.

==============================================
Step 1:
Put your key in the ignition and leave it in the ‘OFF’ position. Connect the two green Test Mode connectors located under the driver’s side dash, left of the Steering Column. To connect the Test Mode connectors, you simply need to plug them into each other.

Step 2:
Use the supplied Initialization Connector (BLUE for 2002 vehicles, WHITE for 2003-2005 vehicles). Attach the Initialization Connector to the complementary whitish (semi-clear) factory connector located in close proximity to the green Test Mode connectors. It may be difficult to find but this connection is required, please use patience.

Step 3:
Turn the ignition key to the ‘ON’ position but DO NOT start the engine. Verify the Check Engine light on your dash is blinking. You may also hear the radiator fans cycling on/off as well as the fuel pump cycling, etc. THIS IS A NORMAL FUNCTION OF TEST MODE. If your vehicle is not displaying a flashing Check Engine Light, please refer to page 47 for additional steps before continuing.

Step 4:
Connect the DiagPORT cable (D-sub 9-pin) to the complementary connector on the AccessPORT.

Step 5:
Connect the red end of the supplied DiagPORT cable to the diagnosis port connector located in the lower portion of the dash (below the steering wheel). The AccessECU logo will be facing you (up). Make sure connection is firm and secure.

At this point, your AccessPORT should turn on and present you with the
initialization screen. (If your AccessPORT does not turn on, please verify all your connections and refer to “Tips and Troubleshooting” on page 46.

Step 6:
The AccessPORT will automatically prompt you to select a Map that will be programmed (flashed) to your ECU. Pressing the large round button (OK) will display a list of available maps pre-loaded on your AccessPORT.

Using the AccessPORT arrow keys, select the map that you wish to program into your ECU. This map will be your “base” map that replaces the original factory map on the ECU and will not be erased when the battery is disconnected or ECU reset. Once you have chosen your map, press the large round OK button.

Step 7:
The AccessPORT will then prompt you to ‘Turn the car fully off and back on’.

THIS STEP CAN BE IGNORED BY 2004-2005 WRX OWNERS.

2004-2005 WRX Owners Leave the ignition key in the ON position and press OK. Proceed to Step 8.

Step 8:
The AccessPORT will first display an “Initializing” message followed by dots indicating progress. During this process, you may notice your check engine light stops flashing and the radiator fans, fuel pump, etc stop cycling. This is NORMAL.

Once it has completed initialization, the screen will go blank briefly and then display a FLASHING message. DO NOT DISTURB THE ACCESSPORT DURING THIS PROCESS. This procedure will take anywhere from 5-10 minutes to complete. Disconnecting the AccessPORT, or attempting to start the vehicle, will cause the programming to fail and may render your vehicle inoperable. If you receive an error during this step, please refer to the Troubleshooting steps beginning on page 48.
Last edited by sirwilliam on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
GeneralGrievous

Per usual you are a wellspring of knowledge Will...

You wouldnt happen to have one of those white init connectors just hanging around would you??? Anyone.... Bueller???? :wink:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

GeneralGrievous wrote:Per usual you are a wellspring of knowledge Will...

You wouldnt happen to have one of those white init connectors just hanging around would you??? Anyone.... Bueller???? :wink:
No, sorry I don't. You should call back the seller or COBB and request it.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I have mine, not sure if it's the same from 04 to 05. but that's just a temp solution. like Will said, you need to contact the person you bought it from and get that connector.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:I have mine, not sure if it's the same from 04 to 05. but that's just a temp solution. like Will said, you need to contact the person you bought it from and get that connector.
Yes, the 2003-2005 all used the same connector. So your connector, Gabe, will work for him.

I would still call/email/PM to get one of your own.

GeneralGrievous

Ok update....

I sifted through the package and there was the unassuming connector amidst the packing peanuts... PHEW

That was causing the low voltage error as evidenced by the flash working tonight. However when I check the "current map" function I cant read it since its a bunch of blocks and symbols instead of saying stage1 93oct etc. Is that normal?? However I can tell a difference with the shift points and it does seem to get on boost quicker :twisted:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

GeneralGrievous wrote: However when I check the "current map" function I cant read it since its a bunch of blocks and symbols instead of saying stage1 93oct etc. Is that normal?? However I can tell a difference with the shift points and it does seem to get on boost quicker :twisted:
haven't seen anything like that. if you purchased it new, call Cobb (don't email them, they won't respond) for tech support. if that doesn't work, bring it out to the next meet. I won't be at the D&B meet but somebody there might know something. also check the forums on Cobb's web site.
GeneralGrievous

What the hell Gabe no D&B for you???? jk

I'm definately planning on bringing it Monday if for no other reason than to play with it some more... :wink:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I don't get home until 6:30 or 7. that's no time to be driving all the way up to MD. and I don't really care to come to a car club meet without my car. :(

maybe one day I'll get a better schedule or a better job...

eventually you might be interested in an Agile Auto Pro-Tune SALE :wink:
GeneralGrievous

Thanks for the linky dude.... sorry bout the schedule though. You could always start making cakes :wink: (I wouldnt wish that on you.. :shock: )
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

GeneralGrievous wrote:Ok update....

I sifted through the package and there was the unassuming connector amidst the packing peanuts... PHEW

That was causing the low voltage error as evidenced by the flash working tonight. However when I check the "current map" function I cant read it since its a bunch of blocks and symbols instead of saying stage1 93oct etc. Is that normal?? However I can tell a difference with the shift points and it does seem to get on boost quicker :twisted:
I had those symbols come up when I first got my AP back from being unmarried at COBB. It was stuck in a preshipment test mode that only COBB could bring out of. I would call COBB and tell them what is going on and that you need them to fix it. I sent mine to them and they paid the shipping back. If you don't fix it, it is pretty worthless not being able to read a corrupted display.

GeneralGrievous

:cry: :x :( :shock: :evil:
(pretty much running the spectrum there)