Time to buy a gauge cluster

Installing or configuring? Want some more bass in the Subaru? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Time to buy a gauge cluster

Post by Osiros »

Hey all,

Tossed this in "other" 'cause I can't really decide where it should live.

Anyway, before doing anything to my car under the hood I've resolved to buy a gauge cluster to monitor boost, EGT, and I was thinking oil pressure??

Looking for suggestions on what to get (want to replace the clock module in the middle of the dash) and also wondering if installation during an install day would be possible.

I've heard that the OEM cluster from Subie is over-priced and not worth it - plus it doesn't monitor EGT.

Educate me....please!!! :lol:

EDIT: Reader's Digest condensed version - I need to buy gauges and have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Help!!!

There...that's better.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

There are lots of center gauges available, you just need to figure out which one you need :) Have you seen my gauge cluster? It holds two gauges (EGT and Boost for me) around the instruement bezel. You have to see it to appriciate it :)

Boost is a 20-30 minute ordeal, very easy. EGT is a little more involved... I'd give it 4 hours just because you have to remove the headers and tap them. Oil Press/Temp can be done quickly using one of the adapters for the oil filter :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I want Boost, Oil Pressure, and EGT. to do it "right" will be near $900... :cry: Defi pwn3s jou.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

I've got an OEM gauge panel w/ a bezel (I forget who makes them...some guy on nasioc). I'm willing to part with it if you are interested.
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

Yeah, as I was going through and looking at stuff I was realizing that I may be looking at something a bit more expensive than I originally thought. Switched my thinking a bit - wanted to run it by you.

Was thinking it might be more economical to do this in stages through different gauges. Could do a console mounted boost gauge right now and nail my short throw shifter at the same time. Then, when I'm ready to drop some more cash, as well as time, take care of EGT, mounted on the console on the side opposite the boost gauge. Any other gauges, if necessary, could be mounted in an A-pillar panel.

In reality, I'm only prepping the car right now for a Cobb Stage 1 which doesn't run the car any higher than it's rated. Even after I take care of the exhaust system (a bit later) that'll still only add another 9-12 HP to it - still within parameters - so I don't need to monitor much more than EGT and boost anyway, right?

Thanks for the offer sam - haven't forgotten that either - do you have the panel w/ gauges or just an empty pod? If it's got the gauges is it the one with boost or the one with vacuum?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Osiros wrote: If it's got the gauges is it the one with boost or the one with vacuum?
Almost every boost gauge I have seen has boost and vacum on it :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

sabre wrote:
Osiros wrote: If it's got the gauges is it the one with boost or the one with vacuum?
Almost every boost gauge I have seen has boost and vacum on it :)
Strange question, I know, but when I've been looking at clusters online there are two OEM versions that come up. The only difference between them is one monitors boost and one states that it monitors vacuum. There's also a price difference to add to the wierdness. Who knows? :shrug:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I got the OEM boost gauge, and I wish I would have waited and gone aftermarket. it doesn't read in PSI (can't remember the units off the top of my head) and the way it's mounted interferes with my speedo/odometer. they changed the gauge stack layout from '03 to '04, but they mounted my boost gauge like an '03. it's easier to see than to explain, but suffice to say it's dookie and it's on my list of future mods...
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

Mr Kleen wrote:I got the OEM boost gauge, and I wish I would have waited and gone aftermarket. it doesn't read in PSI (can't remember the units off the top of my head) and the way it's mounted interferes with my speedo/odometer. they changed the gauge stack layout from '03 to '04, but they mounted my boost gauge like an '03. it's easier to see than to explain, but suffice to say it's dookie and it's on my list of future mods...
:puke: Just when I thought I had it all worked out. Thanks for the heads up - I'll be over here.....at my drawing board. :lol:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Osiros wrote: In reality, I'm only prepping the car right now for a Cobb Stage 1
just put good gas in it to prep for S1. :lol: after driving the car for a year I can tell a difference, but it isn't a HUGE gain. now this weekend when I go S2... that should be a different story. :twisted:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I can HIGHLY recommend the AutoMeter gauge bezel replacement. It can fit two 52mm (2 1/16" IIRC) on either side of the cluster. Perfect viewing angle, you don't have to move your eyes from their primary focal point to view them. The biggest plus imho is the fact that they are not sticking out on one of your pillars saying "FREE TO GOOD HOME" Right now I am using boost/vac and egt. I'm past a stage four right now and here's why I chose only egt and boost.

1) My car has been dyno tuned. I don't really need to worry about oil temp/press so long as I keep an eye on the fluid levels regularly. Everything else runs very very well, so long as it's tuned properly.

2)Boost and EGT are both VERY quick ways of identifying serious engine problems. EGT's start to go north of ~1600 SHUT THE F*&^%R DOWN! Boost goes north of 25lbs? Same deal. The idea behind these gauges is just an emergency alert system. You're not going to be doing much else with them... Trust me :)

There's no point in having three gauges right now, particularly at your level of tune. The only time I would recommend more (A/F, O/T, etc) is if you were regularly tinkering around with your own tune. A w/b O2 is a must at that point...

just my .02USD, HTH.

colin
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

Osiros wrote:Thanks for the offer sam - haven't forgotten that either - do you have the panel w/ gauges or just an empty pod? If it's got the gauges is it the one with boost or the one with vacuum?
It's the OEM pod with a panel that fits three 2 1/16" gauges.
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

Many thanks for the input all. I'm running 93 octane right now and just found a Sunoco station close to home so I may bump it up to 94 so that takes care of the fuel issue.

And thanks for the 0.02 colin....it sounds like maybe I was placing too much emphasis on the monitoring aspects of this given that I'm not really making *that* much of an increase. I think I might just hold off on the purchase of anything for a quick little bit and just go straight to the AP. Plus, the AP will also monitor boost and will identify CEL's so anything I want to keep an eye on I should be able to with no problems.

EDIT: Just googled the autometer gauge cluster - I'm in love. Many thanks for the suggestion there. Sorry sam...think this one's the way I'm going to go. Thanks though.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

you won't be using the AP to monitor boost very often unless you relocate the OBDII plug. I'll bring my AP to the next meet and you can check it out. hopefully by then I'll be Stage 2. :crossfingers:

speaking of Autometer gauges: have you seen their new line? can't remember the name but they look to be aimed squarly at Defi. they do the startup sweep, have variable illumination, and playback capabilities. oh, and they're damned expensive just like the Defi's...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote:you won't be using the AP to monitor boost very often unless you relocate the OBDII plug. I'll bring my AP to the next meet and you can check it out. hopefully by then I'll be Stage 2. :crossfingers:

speaking of Autometer gauges: have you seen their new line? can't remember the name but they look to be aimed squarly at Defi. they do the startup sweep, have variable illumination, and playback capabilities. oh, and they're damned expensive just like the Defi's...

Autometer Nexus.... drool....drool....boooiiinnnngggg.

http://www.autometer.com/demos/nexus/

colin :wink:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

bluscooby23 wrote: Autometer Nexus.... drool....drool....boooiiinnnngggg.

http://www.autometer.com/demos/nexus/

colin :wink:
haha, you can say that again...

Boost - 235
EGT - 215
Remote Control - 187

Total: $637.00

boing^2
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

For almost the same cost, you might as well get Defi...
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

Osiros wrote: EDIT: Just googled the autometer gauge cluster - I'm in love. Many thanks for the suggestion there. Sorry sam...think this one's the way I'm going to go. Thanks though.
No problem! [whore]I can help you with your Autometer and AccessPort needs, also![/whore]