Mirror Install and Options?

Make your baby look great!

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Mirror Install and Options?

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I didn't post it here (but I did at NASIOC.com) but now I need a little advice ...

On Monday morning, I awoke to the sound of my car alarm going off as well as the sound of a car high-tailing it down my street. I had parked on the street. Ran outside, didn't see the other car, but did notice my driver-side mirror twisted around to the front (due to the "break-away" mechanism) and the mirror glass completely smashed. The mirror housing has a crack in it and a gouge on the side.

Thanks to the Stohlman Parts Department, I got a replacement mirror glass for $20 (yes, it's that cheap. I was so relieved). I managed to remove the broken glass and dry-fit the new mirror into place. The only problem is I can't get the new glass out to put the sticky strips on the back! Any suggestions on how to get the glass back out?

Oh, and since I'll eventually have to replace the mirror housing, I thought I might start looking at aftermarket options. Any opinions on these?

http://www.nyxracing.com/product_info.p ... s_id/21264

--Alan
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Wow that's an interesting question... I don't think I'd be able to hazard a guess untill I saw it in person. Maybe I'll check my car at lunch just to take a look at the setup.

As far as the replacement mirrors are concerned, the only thing I wouldn't like would be the reduced size of the glass itself. It would probably mean bigger blindspots. They do look nice though.

colin
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Yeah, I am concerned about the reduced size and larger blind spot. I was hoping to find a replacement that had integrated turn signals (kind of like the new Legacy GT) but I couldn't find anything. Again, these are just options, haven't really decided on anything yet. Hell, knowing me, I'll probably just end up with an OEM replacement anyway.

--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

without seeing what you're talking about, I'm not sure what you mean about "getting the glass back out" but have you tried using a suction cup to pull it out? again, without seeing it, this may be a totally wrong idea...

OHH, have you thought about JDM folding mirrors? now that's teh new hottness. :lol:
Last edited by Mr Kleen on Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Well, let's see if my writing skills are up to snuff ... :D

The glass itself is tacked onto a movable plastic ... um ... platform? Plate? Which, in turn, is connected to the electric adjusting mechanism. So all I've done is pulled the shards of glass (and the tacky strips holding those shards together) off the plastic plate. Now, this plate has a lip around it that curves in slightly (presumably to provide additional support for the glass). I maneuvered the replacement glass past this lip to practice how I was going to install it once I put the new sticky tape on. Unfortunately, it fits too well. :lol:

I can't get ahold of the edges of the glass to slip / pop it back out. Maybe that's a good thing? Maybe I can just leave it there? Knowing my luck, it'll simply fall out when it's least convenient - know what I mean?

Anyway, the suction cup idea sounds like the most plausible solution. Maybe I can try that... thanks, all!

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ouch, sorry to hear that Alan! The suction cup sounds like the best idea to get the glass out. Good luck and let us know if we can help (sounds like you have it under control though.)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ButtDyno
I walk to work

Post by ButtDyno »

You could get the blinking Morette mirrors. The install isn't that bad. They looked out of place on a blue car, but on a white car they would blend in a lot better.

*oh yeah, those aren't whole mirrors, just covers. Nevermind.
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

Try heating the tacky stuff up to help the adhesive break loose. If it is already broken, crack it and just pry the pieces out with something like a screwdriver or something.

Having never seen the issue, I can't think of anything else that might work. Especially since I've never had this happen to me (knock on wood).

AJ
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter