EVO1VED to R3D_RUMM

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

that is quite a nice number on the TD-04. What have you changed besides suspension since the Altered Dyno runs?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'm talking about crank HP, not wheel HP. yeah, there's no way to get 300 WHP on a stock turbo. sorry for the confusion. :oops:

won't the WRX 5-speed asplode at around 375 crank HP? how much crank HP is 300 wheel HP?

oh, and wouldn't he need new injectors to go with the turbo and fuel pump?
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The 06 WRX injectors were rated at 560 at only 80% duty cycle.
That is as good, if not better than, the 565 Sti pinks which supposedly are rated at 90%.

So for the vf39/34/30/22 TD0516G or 18G your safe with the stock fuel system.

There are now several 06 WRXs that are now running 20Gs with the stock injectors with an upgraded fuel pump, but they keep the boost around 18psi max.

There are many people rolling on 300+ whp WRXs that are still on the stock tranny. While they are not nearly as stout as the STi 6 speed, they are not quite the glass jaw people have claimed them to be. The 04-06 have stronger (wider) cogs than the 02-03 do and do hold-up better. It really depends on how you drive. If you are a clutch dropping, gear slamming maniac, your tranny won't last long regardless. There is a guy down in Florida that I corespond with who has an 02 running 315whp on a PE1820 with 72K miles on the stock tranny, and he has several 1/4 mile runs in the low 12s @ 115mph+. He drives sanely (most of the time) and seems to think his tranny will hold past 100K.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

interesting... the 06 WRX has closed the gap with the STi even more than I had thought. surely Subaru will have something planned for the next gen STi to keep you rich guys happy.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The engine is nearly identical to the STi. It is an ej257 with AVCS.
The major differences are:
1. 6 speed w/ DCCD and limited slip.
2. Brembo Brakes
3. bigger turbo
4. bigger TMIC
5. better springs/struts
6. lighter wheels w/ better tires

Essentially, that is it. A WRX with the same bolt-ons will match the power output of an STI.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I sure am glad that Subaru put that nose on it and that mine is half paid off. otherwise... :twisted:

the red looks really good. has the DMV approved your plate yet?
R3D_RUMM
Unicycle

Post by R3D_RUMM »

Mr Kleen...
Not just yet... I don't have the full registration yet so they wont process it until then. We'll see what happens... if not i'm sure I can think of something :-P R3DRUMM might be a bit cheesy, but wanted to incorporate RED in there somewhere!

All...

Thanks for the info and specs, prices, etc... but now i'm really ichin' to mod...
**2003 BMW 325XI**
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:surely Subaru will have something planned for the next gen STi to keep you rich guys happy.
I really hope so, because the differences and insurance make me want to go out and get a WRX and do a swap....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'm thinking I should pick up a black 06 WRX and swap the nose and shift knob!
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:I'm thinking I should pick up a black 06 WRX and swap the nose and shift knob!
All you would need is the hood, front quarter panels, front fascia & lights.
How much would all that set you back?
Or why not just wait until the 2008 model?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

drwrx wrote:All you would need is the hood, front quarter panels, front fascia & lights.
How much would all that set you back?
Or why not just wait until the 2008 model?
I already have a black hood, front fenders, fascia and lights... :twisted:
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Mr Kleen wrote:I already have a black hood, front fenders, fascia and lights... :twisted:
As I understand it, those parts are specific to the '06 model and are not interchangable with the '04 and '05. Does that mean you'd strip the parts off your WRX and then just junk Betty in favor of the new, nose-lifted hotness?

--Alan
R3D_RUMM
Unicycle

Post by R3D_RUMM »

hahah lol... you guys really don't like the 06 front end eh! I really didn't either when it first came out, in fact I love the 04-05, but I think the Red did the 06 justice. Plus I have never had leather seats, heated seats, heated side mirrors wiper de-icer...all that jazz, I love the lmtd, plus the 2.5 was really the kicker for me. Would love to have the 07 STi Limtd, but do much dough!
:-)
**2003 BMW 325XI**
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've got all that minus the leather.

and the 2.5 :(
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Actually, I like the new front end. It reminds me of the early Nakajima aircraft cowls

Most people aren't airplane aficionados and don't recall that Fuji first made airplanes. Fuji Heavy Industries traces its corporate lineage back to Nakajima Aircraft Company, which was founded in 1917. In 1965 Fuji Heavy industries made a plane called the Fuji FA-200 "Aero Subaru."

The boxer motor was actually derived from an aircraft motor.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:shock:

Actually, a lot of that history is in the Impreza book that I have :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
bludragontrboawd
DCAWD Groupie

Post by bludragontrboawd »

I actually did the research on the SS AUTOCHROME thing and the OBX. they are from the same company. I had read a post of how a guy bought them and did a comparison about how well they were made compared to the higher brands and the results were ugly. In fact, the ss auto chrome and obx ones were smaller in diameter, the packages came with some rust and the ones that didnt rust, did after some moisture had hit them. here is the quickest way and I mean PLEASE people check this out. Go to Google, Type in "bad reviews on SSAutoChrome" Trust me on this one. I cannot allow my fellow brothers, and sisters if there are any to fall for it. I was on the way to purchasing a set of headers and y pipe for my max and i just happened to stumble across those and then the bad news! Just FYI
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hmm... What if it's painted with Rustolium.... lol. Colin has a SSA FMIC on actually....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Are you reffering to the headers or intercoolers?
The ssautochrome headers are a known bad design and are also know for poor quality. I would never recommend them to anyone.

The intercoolers are a differnt story. I have seen dyno numbers that indicate that there is no discernable "performance difference" between ssautochrome's FMIC/TMIC and TurboXS's units. My personal opinion on the subject is that anyone who says that X intercooler is better than Y intercooler when both are of similar proportions is either misguided, or has a financial stake in that position. One could argue build quality, but that is almost impossible to prove quantifiably, and often falls under the "so what" category as the cost difference can more than make up for it. There are also clear indications that size makes little difference once a certain volume is reached. There was a test done some years ago using different FMICs on a 600+whp Supra. Several different manufactures with several sizes were instaled, and they are were within a handful of hp and torque of each other. Although all were within 300 c.u. of size, the smaller units got peak numbers sooner while the larger units put down the most power, but later.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

+1 For the SSAC FMIC. I took detailed pics (inside the core and piping, etc) when I first bought it (linky here) and I can honestly say that I cannot tell the difference between it and the TXS kit.

honest. it does the job well. and cheep.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
bludragontrboawd
DCAWD Groupie

Post by bludragontrboawd »

No not for the front mount, i was referring to the headers. I the pics on the headers we BAAAD! i'm sure the front mounts were good though