Dynoless Performance Testing

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Dynoless Performance Testing

Post by hotsam »

I've been contacted by a German firm about possibly selling their product product in the US. It is a performance measuring device that you use for road testing (NOT a dyno). Using a variety of sensors, it measures:

- HP
- Torque
- Accelleration G forces
- Braking G forces
- Engine RPM
- Wheel Revs
- Air Pressure
- Air Temp
- Humidity
- Road Resistance

It confirms to DIN 70020 standards and has been tested to be extremely accurate. Set up is simple but it does require that the user enters wheel diameter, car height and weight, fuel volume, etc...

Since it's obviously cheaper than a dyno, it would be much cheaper for the consumer to use...probably a low flat fee for a set number of runs. Being able to test braking is also a very cool feature.

Is this a service you guys would be interested in?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Maybe :) That does bring something up though... where would you "run" in order for the test to take place? What speed do you have to go up to in order to get a good reading? Definitely interested :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

sabre wrote:Maybe :) That does bring something up though... where would you "run" in order for the test to take place? What speed do you have to go up to in order to get a good reading? Definitely interested :)
100kph. That's not very fast, but a deserted road is ideal.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

62.5mph... i might be interested. approx costs?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

This is just a guesstimate, but I'd say probably around $50 for 5 runs. This device doesn't have an integrated wideband, but I could always throw on an LM-1 for an extra fee.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

hotsam wrote:
sabre wrote:Maybe :) That does bring something up though... where would you "run" in order for the test to take place? What speed do you have to go up to in order to get a good reading? Definitely interested :)
100kph. That's not very fast, but a deserted road is ideal.
100 kph is only ~62 mph, right? Dulles toll road's normal traffic speed is ~75mph.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

Dyno gets my vote....

I'd rather have 4 pulls for $75 on a professionally calibrated machine where I can compare to other cars that have run on the same machine, instead of a device that relies on the MAP sensor I dropped several times while installing my SMIM to tell me how much HP I make. Besides, any obdII pocketlogger can give you info such a airtemps, engine load, etc.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

The only thing OB2 is used for is engine RPM. Everything else uses external sensors. Your MAP sensor isn't used.

Here's a shot of the speed sensor.