redline time attack

Track days? F1? Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

redline time attack

Post by spazegun2213 »

I'm going to the event at beaverun the 13-14 of may. I'm also signed up for the HPDE friday the 12th. There is an event at summit in august as well.

here is their URL
http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/

we'll see how the sti does at the event ;)
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Gone But not forgotten
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Looking good mang! I hope you got some good discounts for those stickers ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

lol STICKARZZZZ!!!!1

(noice pics tho) :mrgreen:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

about the only GTWorx parts I can afford are the stickers... :oops:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote:about the only GTWorx parts I can afford are the stickers... :oops:
true.dat
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Bad@$$ pics man!! I want to put my car in race like that so bad but I'm afraid that if I do that I'll revert to my Gran Turismo tactics. You know, bumping other cars to slow me down before a turn, once I'm in the turn just riding the wall all the way around so I can eat my McDonald's with my free hand, and getting air on even the smallest humps in the road. :rolllaugh:

P.S.- At least I'm wouldn't be using my Burnout 3/ Revenge tactics. :twisted:

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

So why are you running attacks in the front and subzeros in the back? :? Stickers are lookin' good.

So did you win? :drive:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

sirwilliam wrote:So why are you running attacks in the front and subzeros in the back? :? Stickers are lookin' good.

they are actually 5zigens in the front and torques in the rear... and its a long story... but i think that will be my style.. to mismatch my race wheels.

lol

Gone But not forgotten
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Best part, in this one you can see the DCAWD decal. :)

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/ ... 379_FR.jpg
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

ElZorro wrote:Best part, in this one you can see the DCAWD decal. :)

oh yea, i got to sport the DCAWD decal :)

Gone But not forgotten
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

spazegun2213 wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:So why are you running attacks in the front and subzeros in the back? :? Stickers are lookin' good.

they are actually 5zigens in the front and torques in the rear... and its a long story... but i think that will be my style.. to mismatch my race wheels.

lol
they (5zigens) rub in the rear since you've lowered it, don't they?
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

nice. just don't start asking for sponsorship money now. :rolllaugh:
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Mr Kleen wrote:

nice. just don't start asking for sponsorship money now. :rolllaugh:
I would never... but can i barrow a couple hundred so i can get some matching wheels? :rolllaugh:

Gone But not forgotten
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

you're the STi owner. you should be made of money, Ross! :poke: :lol:
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

It started driving up in something that resembled a monsoon. There was so much rain that I though I should get out and plant some rice. But almost 6 hours later I arrived at Beaverun, with the truck and trailer in tacked and ready for the three day weekend on the track.
The Friday event was an HPDE put on by the track. I arrived as the track opened, unloaded the car and started unpacking everything I would need that day and all weekend. I registered and was shocked to find that they had put me in the intermediate class and not the beginner class. I assumed it was my track experience, albeit small and undistinguished. I waited for the drivers meeting still thinking if I should move myself back into the beginner class, after all I had never set foot on this track until today. The drivers meeting was played out like I thought, flags, passing zones and track procedure. The Advanced drivers were out first, and the other classes needed to stay for more classroom instruction. I had had most of this before, but it’s still good to sit there and listen to it as its all important when on the track. Before I knew it our class was let out to grid our cars for the first session. I grid after a Porsche Boxter and the instructors start loading into ever car. I recall what the instructor said gets into the Porsche asking if my car was stock. I reply with a simple “no” and get a “you all can never seem to keep them stock.” I was very puzzled as my instructor enters my car, and introduces himself. Rich had raced Spec Ford racer for a number of years and claimed to know the track. He apologized for being a blunt instructor and told me that he had hand signals. Points left and right, were go left and right, a flat hand meant more throttle and making a fist repeatedly meant brake. The first lap out he pointed to all the cement on the corners and would say which to hit and which not to hit. He also advised me to use the WHOLE track and I’ll get faster. The first green lap out I stuck to the cement and made a few mistakes, each of which Rich made me aware of. After the 20 minutes I had lapped just about everyone and as Rich stepped out of the car he said that I had the line almost down and that he thinks I could go solo in the afternoon. I thought that was great and was living the high life until the next session. Rich jumped back into the car and he asked two things, one was to take the line and the other was to point out the flagger stations. I tried to take the right line, and every time I didn’t he would point it out. I did point out all the flaggers stations though and even stopped for the red flag. Rich said that I had the car control, the self control and enough of the line that I was ready to go solo, so he signed me off and I got my solo sticker for the afternoon. I started to push the car more, brake later and feel the track.
Before I knew it, it was the last session of the day, and I was trying to make my video camera work. I was the last car out on the track and on the warm up lap I was followed closely by an Integra. Even on my hot laps he would catch me during braking and even keep up with me in the turns! He was flying and then I started pushing the car and left him behind. I started to take 9 faster and faster and by the middle of the session I was not braking but I was lifting for it. After a few laps of clear track I was shown the yellow flag at turn 9 and in 10 was that Integra, with the driver looking under the hood. I put my arm up and pitted in, and went back to where the truck was. As I was packing the car up the Integra was pulled into the paddock and I went to go see what happened. When they pulled the dipstick, smoke emerged from the motor. They added oil and pushed the car in gear to make sure it was not ceased. Next they started the car and you could hear it, that grinding clunking sound. It was turned off and a mechanic there said that it was a bearing and that the car would need to be towed. I was the only person there with a trailer and I offered to take the car a short distance. We loaded up the car and were on the road to menroville where the shop was. We stopped for some food, and then got to work. It was clear to see with the pan removed that the right side rod bearings were toast, because of the lack of oil. Bob, the owner of the car had just graduated from Penn State and had just spent every penny on the cars suspension.
The cool part was that the shop housed all sorts of exotic cars. There was a Ferrari Dino with the engine out; a REAL GT40 having some work done and right beside them was a Ford Daytona Prototype being built as the official Beaverun Pace car. Jim locke was the owner and had raced for years. I wish I could have stayed longer but I needed to get back to meet Kevin and Josh at their hotel. I got to the hotel at about midnight and promptly passed out.
We woke up Saturday and got to the track when it opened for the Red Line Time Attack practice. I registered for intermediate class again, because I did not want to be stuck in the advanced class with race cars. Both Josh and Kevin opted for the beginner group so they could easily pass the other cars and not have a problem getting free track. Well, the first 2 intermediate sessions were sprinkled with cars breaking and I got enough time on the track, but I could have used more. The nice part is that the run groups were loosely monitored, which meant if you needed more time on the track, you simply came into the pit, asked if you could go out in the next session and everyone was allowed. I missed a session due to eating lunch and just went out in the next session. The Redline guys were super nice about allowing as much time as needed on the track.
All the cars seemed to break in the morning, including Josh’s NSX. A coolant hose split and the NSX was towed into the paddock. We spent the last 5 hours that day trying to find a hose that would fit. No shop locally carried a specific hose so we ended up cutting one to fit and making that work. The NSX was up and running before the tracked closed and we ended up driving it to the hotel that night.
I continued to go out for the practice session with the intent to work on turn 9. My instructor for the HPDE said that I should be able to take 9 flat out. He told me a few times that it’s a “faith” corner and that he could only tell me to use the rumble striped concrete on the inside and try to brake in a straight line. The first hot lap I lifted, on the second I gave it 25% throttle, then 50% and on the fourth lap 100% throttle. Not lifting was really scary. I was apexing 9 at 125mph, using the rumbled concrete and braking like hell coming into 10. The car would get a little squirrelly breaking, but going from 130 to 40 will do that, and the track into 10 was not all that flat. I finished that day on a high that I would go flat out though 9, it was all faith… and I saw the light!
(hopping the curb over turn 6)
Time attack day two started way too early in the morning and again we were at the track by 7:15am. Today they had morning practice by your time attack class, and not by experience. There were also noticeably less cars for the time attack day, which meant more open tracking for people. The Afternoon was reserved for the time attack. However, the weather had called for rain the entire weekend and the closer we got to the Time Attack the more it darkened. During one of the first practice sessions Kevin had a spin that landed him off track. It also popped of a radiator hose off on the off track. Kevin came in and the situation was quickly fixed with more distilled water. By the time Kevin’s problems were handled it was time for lunch and the Time Attacks were next.
The first Time Attack session came and I went out. I was staged behind an Evo 9 and in front of an Evo 3. The Evo 9 was off and quickly disappeared down the track and before I knew it I was given the green light and I was off. I got to speed quickly and buy down two clean and fast laps, and went for it on the third. The lap started with me braking harder than ever for 1, clean into 2 and 3. Exiting out of 4 I went wide applying the power very quickly and ended up over the rumble strips and the bricks on the outside. Into 5 clean and on the power into 6, hopping the curb, lift turn in and full gas out of 7. WOT, from the exit of 7 though 8 over the curb and 9 on the way. Breathe breath, and turn, the wheels chirping a little though nine. I stood on the brakes into 10, taking a clean line though ten, throttle down for 11, cut the concrete for 12 and though the line at WOT. I knew it was a fast lap, but how fast was it. I gave it enough, but could I have given it more? When they posted the times I had put down a 1:07.3 which was about a second quicker than I had done in practice. I was in third and had another session to go. I decided to skip the practice between the two Time Attacks and conserve my tires and brakes. I really don’t know if that worked as the second Time Attack came. The first 2 laps I was not braking as hard as I could have been and thus I was running deep into corners and not taking a good line. The last lap I decided if more gas could fix things and I muscled the car around the track. I did the best I could and you could hear the tires crying for throttle lift. We get off the track and I knew I was still in third but at least I gave it my all, learned a lot and didn’t break anything. As the modified cars get off the track from their second Time Attack, it started to pour. We had beaten the rain, finished the event and had a good time

(Street AWD 1st Evo 9 and 2nd Evo 3)

(nukabe STi)

Gone But not forgotten
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Awesome! Your write up got me all excited to drive :drive:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

nice!!!
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Beaver Run? Monroeville!? you were about 10 minutes away from me! im right outside of monroeville
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Cereb Daithi wrote:Beaver Run? Monroeville!? you were about 10 minutes away from me! im right outside of monroeville
lol, cool. it was an interesting night for sure.

Gone But not forgotten