vf22 conversion to 1818-20?

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

anonymous

vf22 conversion to 1818-20?

Post by anonymous »

Hey guys,
I am working swaping turbos with Darrin (sp) for his vf22 (trading a 39) so that I can send the 22 to Jerry to have it converted to a clone 1820? I say ? because I am not sure if I am saying this correctly. Jerry seemed to think that I was sending the 39 and stated that it could be turned into an 1818 but I would indeed be sending the 22 as it has the thicker housing for sure. None the less, I have some basic questions that I know some of you technobable geeks can answer for me!

Will the conversion result in an 1818 or an 1820?
Is an 1818 = 18g?
Is an 1820 = 20g?

Either way I will be running a cobb ap w/ protune in the end. should I go ahead and consider having Jerry weld the gate shut and just build an external set up? I know this would solve all boost creep issues down the road for sure. Has anyone (collin) experienced creep on the 22? 18g or 20g?
I have txs dp, I heard in the past that the bellmouth is too large to run exterally gated. Is this true? Should I go ahead and sell the stealth back set up I have and just start over with some sort of new exhaust?

Money is an issue so the trick will be to build some sort of exhaust set up on it that is not that expensive and still try to keep the thing stealthy, I would love to keep my sti axle back on there if possible but maybe with some coaxing I can talk the wife into letting me run something a little louder again.

Any suggestions on a decent but relatively cheap dp that would work with an external set up?

who makes an exterally gated ready up pipe if you will? I have seen one before and without the wastegate it was going for almost $600! Are fn kidding me? What are my options!

Come on guys and help me build the DamSedan! it may take a little time but I am hoping that by the end of the summer I can having this thing up and running. The goal is to put down over 300 awhp in the end! I do not want to get too stupid as I will end up having to do a tranny real quick if I am not careful here!
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Hmm, best bet is to keep an eye out for deals for sale if you want to save money. As for the turbo conversions, I have no idea. You are running the same modified stealthback that you had on your XT, correct? My buddy who's XT is on STi struts and springs had problems w/ scraping when he installed a stealthback but I know yours is rewelded to have better clearance. I think he would buy that from you. You can get creep on any turbo. As for your stock tranny handling over 300WHP, good luck. Maybe a better clutch might save you for a little while. As for the external setups, I don't know much about this...you might want to talk to Frank Mowry since he is running his FPGreen w/ one on his XT. Good luck buddy. :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Yep, the same TXS exhaust. As far as modified, I had them make me a new cat with better angles. Other than that it is the same off the shelf set up that anyone can buy.

I will be getting with Frank a little more as I do know he is externally gated at this point. I know that he also has the tranny concerns as well.

I just need to know more options for what dp's will allow space for the waste gate piping and what not. I can not remember what dp Frank has off the top of my head though. I also need to know who all makes the special up pipe that I would need. I know that TXS is working on a new dp version as well as up pipe just for this but have no idea when they are actually going to release it to the public. I doubt that it will be very cheap though.

I also do not know if I can get away with a 38mm wg or if I need to go with the larger 40mm. I definately have bov's around the house though (hint hint!-sirwilliam)

I believe that the vf22 has the p20 housing so it can be converted into the 20g if you will or 1820.

In any case, I would probably end up selling my sti tmic after all and maybe my txs stealth back but need some clarification first.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Didn't you put down 300/300 with a vf39 on your old wagn? I believe with the vf22 exhaust housing it would be considered an 1820...But don't hold me to it. I thought Darrin had done something similar to that at one point on one of his turbos.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: vf22 conversion to 1818-20?

Post by Sabre »

DamSedan wrote: Either way I will be running a cobb ap w/ protune in the end. should I go ahead and consider having Jerry weld the gate shut and just build an external set up? I know this would solve all boost creep issues down the road for sure. Has anyone (collin) experienced creep on the 22? 18g or 20g?
I have txs dp, I heard in the past that the bellmouth is too large to run exterally gated. Is this true? Should I go ahead and sell the stealth back set up I have and just start over with some sort of new exhaust?

Money is an issue so the trick will be to build some sort of exhaust set up on it that is not that expensive and still try to keep the thing stealthy, I would love to keep my sti axle back on there if possible but maybe with some coaxing I can talk the wife into letting me run something a little louder again.

Any suggestions on a decent but relatively cheap dp that would work with an external set up?

who makes an exterally gated ready up pipe if you will? I have seen one before and without the wastegate it was going for almost $600! Are fn kidding me? What are my options!

Come on guys and help me build the DamSedan! it may take a little time but I am hoping that by the end of the summer I can having this thing up and running. The goal is to put down over 300 awhp in the end! I do not want to get too stupid as I will end up having to do a tranny real quick if I am not careful here!
Hey there :)

I'm not sure about what the 22 can be converted to. I would have actually suggested you talk to Darrin as he's one of our resident turbo experts. Colin/Zak might also have some info for you on this.

You can make it to 300AWHP with the stock STI axle-back, but you might want to look into a Borla Hush if you want a little more sound and much freer flowing exhaust. I have mine matted to a Daddy's catted DP and it's great. Come out to the meet tomorrow if you want to hear it :)

The bellmouth might be an issue, but if you took it to a compedent exhaust shop, they could build you something for it. Obviously you're going for quiet if you want to bring the external WG back into the exhaust. You'd save ALOT of money if you just port the WG on the turbo though. Up to you!

I know that Element Tuning is going to be selling a external WG UP that will go to their DP. I'll see if I can find the link for it. You might just find it on their web site now since it was awhile ago that I heard about it.

You'll be ok around 300WHP since you have the 4.44 rear end (even the 3.90 can handle this).
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ok, I'm a tard... so you have the 3.9 rear... You'll be ok with 300WHP, just don't launch too hard ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I read that the 06 have a 3.7 :^(

I thought about porting the wg and that did work with the 39 but I have heard of so many people having problems with the larger turbos having creep issues especially when mated with the txs dp due to its size!

Yes, the fxt made 295/299 at the wheels at machV.

I just want something that can push the same numbers alot more reliably though.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

DamSedan wrote:I read that the 06 have a 3.7 :^(
:cry: That sucks... all in the name of milage I presume.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The PE1820 sits right between the TD06 18G and the TD06 20G.
the estimated numbers are as follows:

IHI VF-30 ------------ 430 CFM at 14.7 PSI (my guess is that the vf39 would be just lower than this)
IHI VF-22 ------------ 450 CFM at 14.7 PSI
PE1818 --------------- 490 CFM at 14.7 PSI
TD06 18G ------------ 600 CFM at 14.7 PSI
PE 1820 -------------- 630 CFM at 14.7 PSI
TD06 20G ------------ 650 CFM at 14.7 PSI

While these are fairly reliable numbers they are still estimations and should be taken as such. Your numbers may vary.

The creep issue may rear it's head, but it can be "managed" around by adding fuel at the top of the rev band where the potential of lean conditions is more serious. The big problem with creep comes in when you start pushing really large amounts of air either from massive boost (24+psi) or a really big turbo like an FP Green, SZ55, FP Red, GT30/35R ) where the extra psi really makes a difference.

The Cobb AP should allow boost programing across the rev band.
One thing that should be pointed out (and it isn't always on NASIOC) is that boost creep isn't so bad, it's creep combined with lean AFRs that's bad! A dyno tune made in 3rd gear with a 11.5 AFR at 18psi and 85% IDC at 6500 RPMs will become damn scary in 5th gear at 21psi with little to no head room for your injectors.