Stock STI Turbo 413wlb-ft 337whp

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Stock STI Turbo 413wlb-ft 337whp

Post by Sabre »

There is a HUGE problem with it though (lol, of course!). The turbo runs out of steam right after hitting those nice numbers :( I'm guessing a less aggressive tune would give you a better driving car. As it is, it's a dyno queen.

Check it out on NABISCO here.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Now that there is nice, real nice.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

that much power and torque for a 12??? :lol:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Stock STi's on their dyno are near 255WHP and 255ft/lbs. That seams pretty high to me. :roll:

Yeah, I would rather have usable/drivable power over the whole powerband than just to get numbers on the dyno.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

WANGAN_X wrote:that much power and torque for a 12??? :lol:
eh? lol, suddenly I'm lost, haha
sirwilliam wrote:Stock STi's on their dyno are near 255WHP and 255ft/lbs. That seams pretty high to me. :roll:

Yeah, I would rather have usable/drivable power over the whole powerband than just to get numbers on the dyno.
Well, I can tell you the secret. They are doing water injection ;) I've been waiting to see what people could push the stock turbo to using that combo, now I know :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

sabre wrote:
WANGAN_X wrote:that much power and torque for a 12??? :lol:
eh? lol, suddenly I'm lost, haha
sirwilliam wrote:Stock STi's on their dyno are near 255WHP and 255ft/lbs. That seams pretty high to me. :roll:

Well, I can tell you the secret. They are doing water injection ;) I've been waiting to see what people could push the stock turbo to using that combo, now I know :)
but that is just stock STi power, no mods...that dyno is reading very high.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

sirwilliam wrote: but that is just stock STi power, no mods...that dyno is reading very high.
That's 25 over what most read.... so...
413wlb-ft -25 = 388wlb/ft
337whp - 25 = 312whp

Not half bad in my book!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

sabre wrote:
sirwilliam wrote: but that is just stock STi power, no mods...that dyno is reading very high.
That's 25 over what most read.... so...
413wlb-ft -25 = 388wlb/ft
337whp - 25 = 312whp

Not half bad in my book!
Yeah, but I would be hesitant maxing out a VF39 b/c:

1) the infamous crack
2)you are just blowing hot air and adding the water injection at that heat can't be good for longevity

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

sirwilliam wrote: Yeah, but I would be hesitant maxing out a VF39 b/c:

1) the infamous crack
2)you are just blowing hot air and adding the water injection at that heat can't be good for longevity
Ok, I need to ask... What infamouse crack? Only infamous one that I know of is the one you can get down on 8th St. SE!

True, you are WAY out of the VF39's efficiency range, but the WI helps that in that it shifts the chart to the right (IIRC), so that the hot air that is expelled from the VF39 is actually cooled (and expanded) to compensate.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

sabre wrote:
sirwilliam wrote: Yeah, but I would be hesitant maxing out a VF39 b/c:

1) the infamous crack
Ok, I need to ask... What infamouse crack? Only infamous one that I know of is the one you can get down on 8th St. SE!

True, you are WAY out of the VF39's efficiency range, but the WI helps that in that it shifts the chart to the right (IIRC), so that the hot air that is expelled from the VF39 is actually cooled (and expanded) to compensate.
Yeah, the VF39 have a crack that can appear in the exhaust side of the turbo. I have known many to use this turbo even w/ the crack but none have leaked or failed...but I think if you put it in the right situation. :wink:
That is one reason DeadBolt stopped working/repairing them I think...I think there was the ability to replace the turbo housing w/ a stronger one but it wasn't cost effective.

I love my VF39 especially since I got if for $350 shipped w/ approx. 4K on it. I will ride it out and possibly get another if it goes caput...but my turbo only has ~20K total now and it is still running strong. :wink:

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Good to know! I learn something every day on here :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

they said they ran a 12.5 with that setup
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

WANGAN_X wrote:they said they ran a 12.5 with that setup
Ah so :) It's certainly possible, but not without a GOOD driver.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

i could bog the hell outta my car if i had that and still pull a 12.5... hell i ran a 12.6 off pump and a CBE with Reflash
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

The thing is, I'm guessing that your trq/hp curves were much better than that.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
captinmorgan97
I walk to work

Post by captinmorgan97 »

Do you think if he upgraded his pump and injectors he could of made better power, IE: not running out of steam above 6k?
'05 STI OBP. Once you go black, you don't go back.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

captinmorgan97 wrote:Do you think if he upgraded his pump and injectors he could of made better power, IE: not running out of steam above 6k?
that's probably more a product of the stock turbo than the injectors or pump. but I could be wrong.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Ding ding!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
captinmorgan97
I walk to work

Post by captinmorgan97 »

que?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

If you look at the efficiency graph of the VF39, you'll see that it can't keep up with the 2.5 block at higher RPM's, that's all :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
captinmorgan97
I walk to work

Post by captinmorgan97 »

yea I knew, Im getting really close to get a 20G to get rid of that drop at 6k...very very close.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

All depends on the tuning, I don't have much of a drop off at all. Alot of it is how much your exhaust can flow at those high RPMs. 20G will be nice though!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI