Uppipe Leak?

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

ejh25
I'm a n000b

Uppipe Leak?

Post by ejh25 »

I just got done installing a TXS uppipe and FMI on my 02 WRX and as soon as the boost comes on I hear a high pitched whistling. At full throttle I only get 8psi. The uppipe is leaking right? There is no way a leak in the intercooler piping is could make this noise? I followed the TXS instructions verbatim and used new gaskets on the uppipe to headers, uppipe to turbo, and turbo to downpipe junctions. What could have gone wrong?
Thanks for your help.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Julian had a leak in the uppipe-headers connection. I think it started when we installed the headers, they weren't tightened down enough and the pressure blew a chunk of metal out of the gasket. I wouldn't say his sounded high pitched, but maybe you have a smaller leak. The word from Matt is that everyone that he knows that's used a new gasket (as Julian did) has problems, people that reuse the old gaskets don't. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
ejh25
I'm a n000b

Post by ejh25 »

I foolishly mixed up the lines from the ABC going to the compressor housing and wastegate. Everything is fine now. Im not getting much past 14psi though. I haven't switched to Closed loop boost yet is that necessary with a FMI?