Turbo "clicking"

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Turbo "clicking"

Post by Sabre »

Ug... Recently I think that my turbo has started to make a "clicking" noise. Actually, I'd say it's closer to a rattle 8O Any ideas? God, I'm hoping the turbo doesn't blow up on my way to work or something... The next meet can't get here fast enough!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I like the sig, guess that makes me in the "VP in DCAWD"? :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote:I like the sig, guess that makes me in the "VP in DCAWD"? :)
Dat would be correct :) I need to come up with a catchy line for it... My sig on imprezawrxsti.com is getting old:

The latest headline from News Channel 8:
"Blue/Gold streaks terrorize the streets of DC, MD and VA... news at 10"

Hmm, I'm thinking "Stock with some options...", hehe
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
serendipity
I'm a n000b

Post by serendipity »

What do you mean by "ticking", and why do you think it's the turbo? Does it happen only on boost? Just seem to be coming from that general area? Come on man, we need more info! :)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

serendipity wrote:What do you mean by "ticking", and why do you think it's the turbo? Does it happen only on boost? Just seem to be coming from that general area? Come on man, we need more info! :)
It almost sounds like a nut that is rolling around in the turbo housing. If you can imagine a loose heatshield rattling, that is the sound (all the heat shields are nice and tight though). The noise definitely sounds like it's coming from there (by the "ear moving around the engine compartment" test). I removed the heat shield yesterday and heard it even more with the motor running from that spot. All the nuts were nice and tight to the DP, so nothing there. I didn't get a chance to do much other investigating b/c of the threat of rain. Hopefully today I'll get a chance to go out there and lift it up. I have no idea what it's like outside though since I work below ground, haha. I really need to put a web came up outside...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
AdsBot [Google]
I walk to work

Post by AdsBot [Google] »

Sabre wrote:
serendipity wrote:What do you mean by "ticking", and why do you think it's the turbo? Does it happen only on boost? Just seem to be coming from that general area? Come on man, we need more info! :)
It almost sounds like a nut that is rolling around in the turbo housing. If you can imagine a loose heatshield rattling, that is the sound (all the heat shields are nice and tight though). The noise definitely sounds like it's coming from there (by the "ear moving around the engine compartment" test). I removed the heat shield yesterday and heard it even more with the motor running from that spot. All the nuts were nice and tight to the DP, so nothing there. I didn't get a chance to do much other investigating b/c of the threat of rain. Hopefully today I'll get a chance to go out there and lift it up. I have no idea what it's like outside though since I work below ground, haha. I really need to put a web came up outside...

While I was digging around finishing up the turbo swap today, I also noticed that the pronounced ticking that I can hear (after putting a shorty intake on) seems like it comes from the turbo. So it may be normal. Has it suddenly gotten louder, or has it always been there?

I've noticed pretty much all subies do this, and I think it sounds like it's near the turbo because it's actually valve tap or piston slap or somesuch, and it resonates through the exhaust, which doesn't really "hit" anything until the turbine.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Anonymous wrote: While I was digging around finishing up the turbo swap today, I also noticed that the pronounced ticking that I can hear (after putting a shorty intake on) seems like it comes from the turbo. So it may be normal. Has it suddenly gotten louder, or has it always been there?

I've noticed pretty much all subies do this, and I think it sounds like it's near the turbo because it's actually valve tap or piston slap or somesuch, and it resonates through the exhaust, which doesn't really "hit" anything until the turbine.
Nope, just started showing up a few days ago :( I also notice a "strange" sound when I'm letting off the gas and just letting the engine wind down. So hard to decribe noises. The ticking is definitely not valve tapping. I know that sound.

I know it's not tuned, but how does the new turbo feel?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
serendipity
I'm a n000b

Post by serendipity »

Hmm. Maybe we can all take a look and make uninformed speculation at the next meet :)

As for the turbo, it's really, really hard not to just mash the gas and go. The few times I've let it build boost at low throttle, it's spooled pretty quick and hits like a ton of bricks. I can't wait for thursday (tune session). 8)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Turbo "clicking"

Post by Sabre »

Ginubrian wrote:it's cause you drive like a maniac haahah...jp man.
You KNOW it!

Dude, it's been forever since you've come to a meet! How ya been?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Turbo "clicking"

Post by Sabre »

Ginubrian wrote: Been great man...Just taking 18 credits right now and working so it's hard to find free time... Don't worry you'll see me on the meets one of these days. I always read about what's going on with you guys. seems like you guys are getting more and more cars. i'll drop by and say what's up some time and I'll bring kyle too. Hope all is well, btw the site rules!
Cool deal Brian :) I know what you mean about working while studying. I worked part time fresh-jun and full time senior and all through my masters. It sucked.

Hard to believe how far it's come since we first met, eh? Glad you like the site, it's just going to get better from here! You and your friends still hosting stuff? If you need a new host, let me know ;)

BTW, to get back to thread, I found my tapping/clicking sound! It was the bolt on my uppipe. Didn't seem like such a little thing could cause such a ruckis, but it did! Tightend it up and all is well. Sometimes the smallest things can be the worst to troubleshoot.

Take care all,
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI