RFI from BOP has LOL about UAS

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

RFI from BOP has LOL about UAS

Post by zaxrex »

[quote="FedBizOps""]The Federal Bureau Of Prisons (<BOP> sic.), Office of Security Technology has created a Request for Information (RFI) to seek information related to a solution regarding protection from unmanned air vehicles.[/quote]
Gives a linky to a word doc with the actual RFI. Here are some of the interesting items in the RFI:
1:
Recent advances in unmanned air vehicles have presented a new and evolving threat to the BOP’s mission. From small devices of less than a pound that can provide unauthorized imagery and surveillance to larger systems that can carry 20 or more pounds of contraband
2:
The BOP is specifically interested in fully integrated systems that will allow for the detection, tracking, interdiction, engagement and neutralization of small (less the 55 LB total weight) unmanned aerial systems
3:
Drone performance that consists of:
a. Flying altitudes from ground level to 18000 ft
b. Velocities from 0 to 100 m/sec
c. Highly variable dimensions, but in general less than 4 ft in their maximum dimensions
4. Detection ranges of 1 mile with tracking at .75 miles and kill/interdiction as far out as possible
So, let me get a few metrics straight. A 4 ft UAS can weigh 35 lbs, and carry 20 lbs of payload (meth, crack, coke, diet coke...), take off from the ground, fly at 225 mph to an altitude 4000 feet higher than non-pressurized aircraft can tread, then hover on station to accurately drop its payload in a 30 second free fall within the exercise yard?
I need one very very badly!
But seriously now, who was tasked with defining the threat performance envelope, and what technology generation in the future did they base their requirements on??? Fuck, I'm not sure of a state sponsored military that has a design of something that has this kind of ability. Sound more like a theater-ballistic missile threat after fuel cut apogee.

I wonder if I responded to the RFI if I would get dinged for providing the 5250 ft detection distance a the cost of the other 13478 feet to the target's operating altitude at a mile away...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Re: RFI from BOP has LOL about UAS

Post by GaToR »

4. Detection ranges of 1 mile with tracking at .75 miles and kill/interdiction as far out as possible
:shock:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i was going to suggest a pair of r2d2 guns (phalanx) with a gps balloon. done.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, I love requirements like these!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.