I want to buy this guy a beer.

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

I want to buy this guy a beer.

Post by ElZorro »

https://medium.com/@dhh/reconsider-41adf356857f

I'm reading more and more like this... break the startup culture, ignore the 100x programmer myth, etc Hopefully this catches on and we can get down to building simply good stuff without the cult of personality and $$$.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: I want to buy this guy a beer.

Post by complacent »

absolutely agree, 100%. unrelated, they're a regular advertiser at daringfireball. go figure.

i think they're a great company with, more importantly, great ideas as to what a company should be. they'll find their way. with a great product, and enough buzz, they can carve out their own niche without doing the series of investments and valuations. good on 'em. i hope the trend becomes more popular.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

That’s why the mindfuck is so complete. You have a tiny minority of capital providers, their hang-arounds, and the client companies all vested in perpetuating a myth that you need them! That going into the cold, unknown world of business without their money in your mattress is a fool’s errand.

Don’t listen! They’ve convinced the world that San Francisco is its primary hope for progress and that while you should emulate it where you can, that emulation is going to be a shallow one. Best you send your hungry and your not-so-poor to our shores so we can give them a real shot at glory and world domination.
They’ve trained the media like obedient puppies to celebrate their process and worship their vocabulary. Oh, Series A! Cap tables! Vesting cliffs!

But in the end, they’re money lenders.

Morality pitted against the compound leverage of capital is often outmatched. Greed is a powerful motivator in itself but it gets accelerated when you’re serving that of others. Privacy for sale? No problem! Treating contractors like a repugnant automatron class of secondary citizens to which the company needs not show allegiance? PAR FOR COURSE.
Loved that article/speech. I did some work for a small software company over 20 years ago and the President/owner was totally in thrall of the kind of thinking that the author decries. One of the directors whom I worked with was telling me how the Pres. was always trying to find a "Big Backer" and making the staff jump through nonsensical hoops trying to impress someone who did not understand their business. It was a huge amount of wasted resources and really the company in the long run. My contact left after a few years and later heard that the company folded and left all the employees with bounced paychecks.

Couldn't say I was surprised.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:nana: