Secret memo reveals which telecoms store your data the longe

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Secret memo reveals which telecoms store your data the longe

Post by HappyIdiot »

Ars technica wrote:The nation’s major mobile-phone providers are keeping a treasure trove of sensitive data on their customers, according to a newly released Justice Department internal memo that for the first time reveals the data retention policies of America’s largest telecoms.
Michael Cerwonka, wired.com

The single-page Department of Justice document, “Retention Periods of Major Cellular Service Providers,” (PDF) is a guide for law enforcement agencies looking to get information—like customer IP addresses, call logs, text messages and web surfing habits—out of US telecom companies, including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon.

The document, marked “Law Enforcement Use Only” and dated August 2010, illustrates there are some significant differences in how long carriers retain your data.

Verizon, for example, keeps a list of everyone you’ve exchanged text messages with for the past year, according to the document. But T-Mobile stores the same data up to five years. It’s 18 months for Sprint, and seven years for AT&T.

That makes Verizon appear to have the most privacy-friendly policy. Except that Verizon is alone in retaining the actual contents of text messages. It allegedly stores the messages for five days, while T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint don’t store them at all.

The document was unearthed by the American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina via a Freedom of Information Act claim. (After the group gave a copy to Wired.com, we also discovered it in two other places on the Internet by searching its title.)

“People who are upset that Facebook is storing all their information should be really concerned that their cell phone is tracking them everywhere they’ve been,” said Catherine Crump, an ACLU staff attorney. “The government has this information because it wants to engage in surveillance.”

The biggest difference in retention surrounds so-called cell-site data. That is information detailing a phone’s movement history via its connections to mobile phone towers while it's traveling.

Verizon keeps that data on a one-year rolling basis; T-Mobile for “a year or more;” Sprint up to two years, and AT&T indefinitely, from July 2008.

The document also includes retention policies for Nextel and Virgin Mobile. They have been folded into the Sprint network.

The document release comes two months before the Supreme Court hears a case testing the government’s argument that it may use GPS devices to monitor a suspect’s every movement without a warrant. And the disclosure comes a month ahead of the 25th anniversary of the Electronic Privacy Communications Act, an outdated law that the government has invoked to obtain, without a warrant, the data the Justice Department document describes.

“I don’t think there there is anything on this list the government would concede requires a warrant,” said Kevin Bankston, a staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation. “This brings cellular retention practices out of the shadows, so we can have a rational discussion about how the law needs to be changed when it comes to the privacy of our records.”

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has proposed legislation to alter the Electronic Privacy Communications Act to protect Americans from warrantless intrusions. Debate on the issue is expected to heat up as the anniversary nears, and the Justice Department document likely will take center stage.
Link

Some scary stuff.
My Name is Adam.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Secret memo reveals which telecoms store your data the l

Post by complacent »

paranoid? don't use a cell phone. good grief, that is scary. :-(
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

You'd be surprised how long they keep CDR's on the landline side of the house
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

Not use a cell phone?!? Vendors have told me they improve my quality of life.

Oh well, I'll keep the diabolical plans on the old string and cup network.
My Name is Adam.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Pretty amazing... now imagine this was all your Internet traffic...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:Pretty amazing... now imagine this was all your Internet traffic...
it isn't?
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

you guys should read this. I was pointed to it by my boss because he's quoted in it :lol:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

We should start a thread on books like that... and I'll do that ASAP. :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

banhammer!

Oh....and I bet NONE of you read The Shadow Factory, did ya? ROFL. Funny how the latest news is such a "surprise" yet its either detailed or inferred in the book.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

PGT wrote:banhammer!

Oh....and I bet NONE of you read The Shadow Factory, did ya? ROFL. Funny how the latest news is such a "surprise" yet its either detailed or inferred in the book.
I have, along with Puzzle Palace and some others :)

BANNED!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

PGT wrote:Oh....and I bet NONE of you read The Shadow Factory, did ya?
Amazon paperback: $12.69
Amazon digital delivery: $13.99
Ironic?
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Whoa. LOL. That's not right. :screwy: