Yahoo to recycle old account names

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

thermatico
Yugo owner

Yahoo to recycle old account names

Post by thermatico »

Yahoo has announced a plan to "recycle" old e-mail addresses, a move meant to free up accounts for folks who want them but that has sparked privacy concerns.

In a blog post, senior vice president Jay Rossiter announced that Yahoo e-mail accounts that have been dormant for more than a year will be reset so that active users can have access to them.

"If you're like me, you want a Yahoo! ID that's short, sweet, and memorable like albert@yahoo.com instead of albert9330399@yahoo.com," he wrote.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/tech/web/ ... index.html

I'm pretty sure I don't have any yahoo addresses abandoned in my deep past. Someone is going to get burned by this though. Yahoo should know better.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Yahoo to recycle old account names

Post by PGT »

simple fix is to add a new domain to the MX record, allowing for "new" addresses without too much pain. yahoomail.com or something
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Shut your mouth with your simple and efficient solution talk. There is no place for that here.

I would feel better about accounts that have been dormant for six or so years.
Recently, I forgot my login credentials to one of my financial accounts that I had forgotten about. All I needed was to enter the e-mail address associated with my account, and I would be sent a link for credential verification and account access.

How are they going to prepare themselves for that can of worms?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

LOL.

I'd just like there to be a better process for recovery. My hotmail account was compromised somehow through eBay (from a cyber cafe in Amsterdam). eBay reset my account while Microsoft never did anything, despite following multiple paths to try get it at least shut down (if not restored to my control).
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Sounds like a bullshit money grab to me. I wonder if yahoo is ready for the potential wave of lawsuits when people who forward their yahoo accounts elsewhere suddenly lose access.
This may have seemed like a good way to get people to log in again, or to try to convert new users to a groovy Yahoo address. But it’s a terrible idea. It means that people will be able to claim Yahoo IDs and use them to take over other people’s identities via password resets and other methods.

For example, someone who uses a Yahoo email address solely as a backup for Gmail, and thus hasn’t logged into it for a long time, would be vulnerable to having that address taken over by a malicious individual who only wanted to ultimately get into the active Gmail address. You can see a chain of events where that could lead to taking over online banking accounts, social media accounts and the like.

Nor would it be hard to discover some of these inactive addresses. You could, for example, find a dormant Flickr account, which previously required a Yahoo email address.

The bottom line is that unless it rethinks this policy, this is going to lead to a social engineering gold rush come mid-July.
All of this.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

yikes. perhaps i should revisit my yahoo asap.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

smh...