Starter issue

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Starter issue

Post by drwrx »

OK, the Forester starts right up this morning, no issues. Now I turn the key and the dreaded click, click, click of a starter issue. Anyone have some insight into where to start? Relay, solenoid, starter motor? This is actually the first time I've ever had to deal with this issue.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Starter issue

Post by Sabre »

If you're just getting clicks, it's probably the battery. Jump it and head up to AutoZone/PepBoys/etc. and they will check the battery out :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I would normally think battery, but it had started up without an issue just 2 hours earlier.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Weird, one click is usually solenoid, where multiple clicks would say that the solenoid is engaging, but the starter circuit is not getting sufficient power to overcome initial resistance of the starter.
If it were me I would first check the voltage across the terminals. If 12-13, then I would think it is the starter/circuit. Then I would jump from another battery, but without the other vehicle on. Just see if it is an amperage issue rather than voltage.
But then you know what happens to the stuff I do...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

You know what I thought of on the way home. I had to rebuild the starter on the L because the brushes had worn down completely. If you're getting the voltage at the starter like Zak had pointed out, I'd consider cracking it open and checking these. I bought a replacement head (couldn't buy just the brushes) for around $5 from RockAuto.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

You may be right on the battery. I was able to jump it w/o issues last night, and it ran smoothly for a trip around the block and about 5 minutes of idling.
However, once the car was turned off it would not restart, again click, click, click.
The battery is only 3 years old, but maybe the lack of driving and cold weather has conspired to kill the battery.
I'll get another this weekend and see if that changes things.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Excellent :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Julian called it! New battery cures all. Sadly, the old battery didn't last but a little over 3 years.
I think we may need to drive the Forester a bit more.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Happy to hear it was an easy fix :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI