Jeep May Give The Wrangler a Diesel in the US

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Jeep May Give The Wrangler a Diesel in the US

Post by Sabre »

Torque

Jeep officially unveiled the diesel powered 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Detroit last month. If sales of the new diesel Grand Cherokee are a success, then chances are high that Jeep may offer a diesel powered Wrangler.

"Wrangler customers really want a diesel," Jeep CEO Mike Manley told the Detroit Free Press. "It's a target vehicle for a diesel once we see the reaction to the Grand Cherokee." A diesel powered Jeep Wrangler would give buyers another more fuel efficient option, since the 2014 diesel-powered Grand Cherokee is expected to get up to 30 mpg on the highway. The current Wrangler only gets up to 21 mpg on the highway.
I would love to own one of these if it came stateside, but I think my "garage" is full enough :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Jeep May Give The Wrangler a Diesel in the US

Post by PGT »

Dave @ AEV did the diesel swap on his JK. It supposedly was a major PITA to do but wonderful to drive. The prospect of a diesel or Hemi option down the road (and the cost to swap one in now) has me taking a "wait and see" approach. The new 3.6L motor is MUCH better for daily driving but is a car motor at heart (i.e. no strong low end grunt like the old 4.0L).
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Dodge is putting a turbo diesel back in an everymans truck.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Jeep has been building the Wrangler CRD in Toledo for quite some time now, but its been for export. Lately, more have been seen on the roads in MI with "M" plates on them (for manufacturer). Many have been wearing AEV gear as well so one can only hope that there's a renewed effort underway, considering the GC is offering the diesel for '14.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)