BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept Officially Unveiled

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept Officially Unveiled

Post by Sabre »

Torque

BMW has officially unveiled the BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept, which will debut next month in Detroit. The new 4 Series Coupe Concept is a preview of the 4 Series Coupe, which will replace the 3 Series Coupe in BMW's lineup. The switch to the 4 Series name, aligns the coupe with BMW's 6 and 8 Series coupes. BMW says that "4" stands for greater sportiness, greater exclusivity and even clearer differentiation from the BMW 3 Series range.

Compared to the outgoing 3 Series Coupe, the 4 Series Coupe is longer, wider and lower. The wheelbase is 50 millimetres longer than that of the existing 3 Series Coupe, while 45 mm has been added to the front track and 80 mm to the rear track. The BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept is 44 mm broader than its predecessor, its roof line is 16 mm lower.

BMW hasn't confirmed what will power the new 4 Series Coupe, but it's expected to get the same 2.0L and 3.0L engines as the sedan, which means it will be dubbed the 428 and 435i. Expect the 4 Series Coupe to go on sale shortly after its debut at the Detroit Auto Show, next month.
lol, I think I need to start a chart... A4 = 3 Series = C class, A5 = 4 Series = etc. etc.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Re: BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept Officially Unveiled

Post by Raven »

Nearly every other coupe in the BMW line-up was it's own number.

6 series = 5 series coupe
8 series = 7 series coupe

The 3 series coupe was the anomaly...or it was until the 1-series coupe. >_>
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

It's all marketing speak, they're the same platform. :wink:

I do like the new coupe (and the sedan) but I wish the 2er was coming out sooner. It will be the size the 3er USED to be before it grew to 5er proportions. In a few years they'll have to invent new numbers because the 1er will be the size of the 7er. :rolllaugh:
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:In a few years they'll have to invent new numbers because the 1er will be the size of the 7er.
Introducing the new BMW .3, .4, .5, .6, .7 & .8?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I don't know, but I'd like to see this trend stop. Cars are big enough now: we've got crumple zones and side impact beams and all sorts of electronic toys. No reason to keep growing every time a refreshed model is introduced.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:I don't know, but I'd like to see this trend stop. Cars are big enough now: we've got crumple zones and side impact beams and all sorts of electronic toys. No reason to keep growing every time a refreshed model is introduced.
TOTALLY agree. Our subies are no different. That's why I'm building up the L and not a 2013 STI. I think it was a guy from Lotus who said "more power makes you faster in the straights, less weight makes you faster everywhere". I wish sports cars would return to this. Looking at the BRZ, it is a tiny little thing next to most things on the road. :D
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:That's why I'm building up the L and not a 2013 STI.
I get what you are saying, but weight gain has not really been a serious issue for the STi.

gross vehicle weight 2004 STi: 3,263lbs

gross vehicle weight 2013 STi: 3,373lbs

100 lbs over 10 years is pretty minor. There are lots of humans who do worse.

The WRX is even less so:

gross vehicle weight 2002 WRX wagon (5 door): 3,165lbs

gross vehicle weight 2004 WRX 5 door: 3,208lbs

Only 50 lbs. over 12 years. We should all be so lucky.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^ Good point, but if I can get the L down to 2500lbs, that's a substantial lead over even a stripped (usually 2800lbs) STI.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

You aren't getting the same crash protection in the L as the STi, that's where the weight is coming from.

Safety weight is OK, but this "make it larger every generation" thing is what upsets me.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:Safety weight is OK, but this "make it larger every generation" thing is what upsets me.
This I am in complete agreement with!
Does everything need to be wider, taller and longer to be better?
You only need to look at the last 4 generations of Honda Accord to see the massive bloat that has occurred there.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:You aren't getting the same crash protection in the L as the STi, that's where the weight is coming from.

Safety weight is OK, but this "make it larger every generation" thing is what upsets me.
Even with a full cage (DEFINITELY a requirement) it will be that light.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Mr Kleen wrote:It's all marketing speak, they're the same platform. :wink:

I do like the new coupe (and the sedan) but I wish the 2er was coming out sooner. It will be the size the 3er USED to be before it grew to 5er proportions. In a few years they'll have to invent new numbers because the 1er will be the size of the 7er. :rolllaugh:
Just like every other make, especially Honda.
-Ben