US Government: We Can Access Your Cloud Data At Any Time

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

US Government: We Can Access Your Cloud Data At Any Time

Post by Libra Monkee »

Another reason why I never really trusted any kind of "cloud" storage service. Mainly, the fact that you don't know who has access to your data or how they might use it against you.
EFF, on behalf of its client Kyle Goodwin, filed a brief proposing a process for the Court in the Megaupload case to hold the government accountable for the actions it took (and failed to take) when it shut down Megaupload's service and denied third parties like Mr. Goodwin access to their property. The government also filed a brief of its own, calling for a long, drawn-out process that would require third parties—often individuals or small companies—to travel to courts far away and engage in multiple hearings, just to get their own property back.
The government maintains that Mr. Goodwin lost his property rights in his data by storing it on a cloud computing service.
EFF

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: US Government: We Can Access Your Cloud Data At Any Tim

Post by Mr Kleen »

What 4th Amendment?!?
:roll:

I have a Drobo at home. I've been thinking about getting one for my Dad and replicating between them so we're both covered (not exposed).
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

don't write off all cloud storage due to Megaupload's situation. At my last job, we worked out MOU's with LE to copy data over to support their investigations vs. them seizing servers. The realities of "cloud" and virtualized workloads is that this will become the norm vs. the "brute force" tactic of taking an entire server.

Mega was different because the the CSP, they were accused of the IP issues, not the individual users.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Honestly, if you want to protect your data, I don't care if it's in the cloud or not, encrypt it! TrueCrypt is free people!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

better yet, CleverSafe
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Pretty interesting!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

cleversafe is cool (admittedly biased, and ping me offline if you want more data).
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

haha. I was going to mention that but figured people would read that anyways.