G4TV Gets ye olde axe.

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

G4TV Gets ye olde axe.

Post by Libra Monkee »

Bit of an old story but I just found out.

If you ask me this network has been dead since around 2005. All the gamer and tech related shows have long been cancelled (AOTS doesn't count). Now all that's on whenever I turn to it is Cops.

Anyhow, NBC Universal decided to make it official. No word on when but the channel's being replaced with a "GQ" type channel "ditching the nerd focus in favor of something more "modern male"."

I for one am glad to see the channel go. I liked it back in the G4-TechTV days. But since they killed off all the tech programming, the abortion it became was too painful to watch. I've already used the expression: G4 is to games and tech what MTV is to music. So seeing the channel finally be cut off feels more like a mercy killing than anything else. Though I'm not sure how I feel about it being replaced by "Lifetime for men".

Kotaku

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: G4TV Gets ye olde axe.

Post by complacent »

wasn't it more-or-less a springboard for aspiring actresses/models/etc that were willing to work in the filthy, nerd-infested trenches?

i don't think i've ever watched an entire episode before.

loltv?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

funny. i was just about to say that i haven't watched that channel since colin and i were roommates.
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

complacent wrote:loltv?

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Never watched it myself.... was it good back in it's prime?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I thought it was good for a year or two. Back when AotS was a true geek-fest and they ran lots of Ninja Warrior re-runs.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

It was nice when AotS was still "The Screen Savers" and when they still aired shows like *goes back to wikipedia for the list*:

Arena: a multi-player game competition between two teams of four players.
Filter: a top-ten countdown voted by viewers.
Blister: focused on action/adventure game news.
Cinematech: described as a showcase for the best high-end digital art.
Game On: two hosts competed in video game action come to life with dire consequences for the loser.
Sweat: focused on sports game news.
Cheat!: tips and cheat codes on video games.
Portal: focused on multiplayer online games.
Pulse: news on the video-game industry.
Judgment Day: currently known as Reviews on the Run, "two video-game gurus will opine on the latest entries."
G4tv.com: an interactive talk show on video games

I could go there, geek out, and nerdgasm for hours. But all of those shows were cancelled circa 2 double-ought 5. Since then it's been all Ninja Warrior and Cops. That's when I stopped watching.

The only show they still air that remotely resembles the old formula is "X-Play" featuring Morgan Webb (click 4 t3h hawtness). Arguably, the only attractive female on the network who's also a huge nerd. ... ... ... Besides Laura Foy

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I swear Ninja Warrior shared space with those shows.