Nissan to offer steer-by-wire systems in Infiniti cars

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

Nissan to offer steer-by-wire systems in Infiniti cars

Post by Libra Monkee »

Essentially Infiniti is making it so you can mimic the image below on your drive home.

engadget.com wrote:We're all at least somewhat familiar with fly-by-wire, the electronic piloting system found in most modern planes. Nissan wants to bring the same tech to cars, leaving behind the purely mechanical solutions currently used to take turns in your four-wheeler. The first automobiles to come equipped with steer-by-wire would be luxury sedans from Infinity. Other companies have incorporated the tech into concept vehicles, but Nissan would be the first to stick it in a production model. The company plans to have the first drive-by-wire cars in consumer garages by the end of next year, with an eye towards a future in which you drive from the back seat using a joystick. Of course, the lack of direct feedback as your tires turn over the road may lead some to cling tight to their mechanical steering apparatus, though, moving to a digital steering system should lead to better handling vehicles.
Reuters link

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Nissan to offer steer-by-wire systems in Infiniti cars

Post by Sabre »

Ya, this along with braking I'd like to keep at least SOME measure of mechanical linkage to my inputs!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I <3 mechanical feedback.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
thermatico
Yugo owner

Post by thermatico »

Some info from wired. It will have a back-up mechanical linkage connected by a clutch.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/10/ni ... r-by-wire/
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

VERY good to hear :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.