Jetpants: a toolkit for huge MySQL topologies

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Jetpants: a toolkit for huge MySQL topologies

Post by Sabre »

Tumblr
Tumblr is one of the largest users of MySQL on the web. At present, our data set consists of over 60 billion relational rows, adding up to 21 terabytes of unique relational data. Managing over 200 dedicated database servers can be a bit of a handful, so naturally we engineered some creative solutions to help automate our common processes.

Today, we’re happy to announce the open source release of Jetpants, Tumblr’s in-house toolchain for managing huge MySQL database topologies. Jetpants offers a command suite for easily cloning replicas, rebalancing shards, and performing master promotions. It’s also a full Ruby library for use in developing custom billion-row migration scripts, automating database manipulations, and copying huge files quickly to multiple remote destinations.

Dynamically resizable range-based sharding allows you to scale MySQL horizontally in a robust manner, without any need for a central lookup service or massive pre-allocation of tiny shards. Jetpants supports this range-based model by providing a fast way to split shards that are approaching capacity or I/O limitations. On our hardware, we can split a 750GB, billion-row pool in half in under six hours.
I've been meaning to post this forever. If you're in to big data, this is worth looking in to!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Jetpants: a toolkit for huge MySQL topologies

Post by complacent »

that's awesome stuff! have you been reading about some of the tools that facetube has been building? with triforce they can supposedly provision 10,000 servers in less than 30 days. madness. makes projects like puppet seem like small potatoes, yea?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

That is pretty wild how fast they can scale now'a'days! I haven't played with Puppet, but I'll have to look in to it. Although it's not free, VMware Orchestrator is pretty damn powerful.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

hmm, interesting. i do love puppet.
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle