Electric turbocharging oil burner

Non-technical forum specific to Audi. Good example: Discussion of classic Audi's.

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Electric turbocharging oil burner

Post by zaxrex »

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor ... technology
I wonder if this shares any of the same concept beginnings with the Teledyne electric turbo from a decade ago.

Even better than a supercharger
Audi’s electric turbocharger sits in the induction system, downstream of the conventional turbo and the intercooler and is normally not operative. However, at very low speeds - particularly from standstill - the air charged by the main turbo is re-directed through the electric turbocharger, which is already spinning at high speed, and pushed with much greater force into the engine.

A brief drive of a prototype unit in an Audi A6 showed the electric bi-turbo set-up to be dramatically effective. The torque boost from a standing start with the electric turbo in operation delivers what can probably be described as sub-supercar performance. Audi’s own tests claim that, back-to-back with a conventional V6 TDI, the electric Bi-Turbo car was two car lengths further down the road just three seconds after launch.
Gonna be a tall engine though, and the exhaust manifold goes up to meet the traditi0onal turbo on top of the engine between the two banks. Weird.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Electric turbocharging oil burner

Post by Sabre »

The torque boost from a standing start with the electric turbo in operation delivers what can probably be described as sub-supercar performance. Audi’s own tests claim that, back-to-back with a conventional V6 TDI, the electric Bi-Turbo car was two car lengths further down the road just three seconds after launch.
Damn, that will be very interesting! I wish they had released numbers!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Sabre wrote:
The torque boost from a standing start with the electric turbo in operation delivers what can probably be described as sub-supercar performance. Audi’s own tests claim that, back-to-back with a conventional V6 TDI, the electric Bi-Turbo car was two car lengths further down the road just three seconds after launch.
Damn, that will be very interesting! I wish they had released numbers!!!
I'll bet peak numbers are unchanged, but peak torque probably comes at some ridiculous rpm (800?)

This sounds like the TDI biturbo that comes with the A6 Allroad in Europe, but with one turbo turned 'lectric.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

GaToR wrote: I'll bet peak numbers are unchanged, but peak torque probably comes at some ridiculous rpm (800?)

This sounds like the TDI biturbo that comes with the A6 Allroad in Europe, but with one turbo turned 'lectric.
i was thinking pretty much the same thing.

[homer drooling]mmmm... torque under the curve[/homer drooling]
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz