Remote start

Installing or configuring? Want some more bass in the Subaru? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Remote start

Post by Phibs »

All,

Since it is ... somewhat cold this winter... ok not really but it should be, I would like to look into getting remote start for my 2012 WRX.
Does anyone have a brand/product recommendation and ideally a good place to get it installed ?

TIA,

Ps. I'm back, there goes the neighborhood.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Remote start

Post by Sabre »

Never installed or owned one... that being said, I'd love to have one! :popcorn:

Welcome back!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

it's been several years since i've installed one. the basic concept is to create standalone ignition and accessory circuits. i'm pretty sure its outright illegal in any vehicle with a manual transmission though. i've seen it done before, but i've also seen cars left in gear jump into the car in front of them in the parking lot.

if you're going to bite, make sure the installer is at least mecp certified. buena suerte!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Colin,

Thanks for the advice. That's why I wanted to see if someone knew of a good installer/brand of system. If it is illegal in a manual (for obvious house wrecking/curb jumping reasons), maybe i'll just freeze
waiting for the motor to warm up a bit each morning.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Welcome back. I still owe you $20, not sure when you'll be able to collect though. :lol:
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

haha no worries man thanks :)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Having installed many in manual transmission vehicles, it can be done but it has to be done right. Viper/DEI was always good, but you're supporting that loon Daniel Issa by buying one (if he still owns the company). http://www.viper.com/shopviperproducts/ ... code=4102v
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Remember that story a while back about the guy with the Mustang GT that installed a remote start (in FLORIDA?!?) and disabled the clutch lockout function? He took the car to the dealership for some work, the lot attendant used the remote start and the car shot across the parking lot, through a fence and ended up in a pond. :eek:
LLTS1
I'm a n000b

Post by LLTS1 »

It can be done and Viper is the best stuff out there at the moment. If the installer installs a neutral safety switch it can and will be very safe. That being said it is technically illegal to use them in many areas, check with your county to see what the rules are about leaving a unattended car running. From experience the cops don't seem to care if the keys are in it or not. They see it running with no one around, your getting a ticket. (at least in D.C.) Good luck and if you want to try it yourself I can get you the wire colors.