Next-Gen Subaru WRX to get Turbocharged 2.0L BRZ Engine

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Next-Gen Subaru WRX to get Turbocharged 2.0L BRZ Engine

Post by Sabre »

Well, it's confirmed! Torque Report
Subaru has confirmed that the next-generation Subaru WRX will be powered by a 270 horsepower turbocharged version of the 2.0L engine that powers the 2013 Subaru BRZ.

Currently the WRX is powered by a 265 horsepower 2.5L engine. The new smaller engine will pack slightly more power and is expected to also be more fuel efficient that the current 2.5L The current WRX gets 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.

Subaru has already announced that the next-generation WRX and WRX STI will be further differentiated from the Impreza, but will likely still be based on the same platform. Subaru hasn't confirmed when the next WRX will debut, but it's expected to debut sometime next year as a 2013 model.
If they can get the same trq numbers by the same RPM, I'm all for it. If not, give me my 2.5 back!

This should make it easier to add a turbo to the BRZ, provided they can find a place to put it with the engine being so low.

Side note: I have been saying all along that they WRX/STI are SO close now that they will have to differentiate them more if they want to keep selling STI's. It will be interesting to see what they do with the STI. 400HP? Keep the 2.5? Twinscroll? Lighter?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Next-Gen Subaru WRX to get Turbocharged 2.0L BRZ Engine

Post by PGT »

2.5L DI version is my guess. it's like 2004 all over again.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I would certainly love that :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:Side note: I have been saying all along that they WRX/STI are SO close now that they will have to differentiate them more if they want to keep selling STI's. It will be interesting to see what they do with the STI. 400HP? Keep the 2.5? Twinscroll? Lighter?
If the STI starts putting out 400hp, I just might be in the market for one.
rocket scientist
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:This should make it easier to add a turbo to the BRZ, provided they can find a place to put it with the engine being so low.?
Can you say Hood bulge? Seriously, that is likely what they will have to do. The engine and mounting points won't change. The turbo & plumbing will run over and/or around the engine and will need additional hood clearance.
Sabre wrote:It will be interesting to see what they do with the STI. 400HP? Keep the 2.5? Twinscroll? Lighter?
Think 320-350HP tops. Twin scroll is likely. The turbo will also likely be a 37.5 or 39 lb/min unit over the 35 lb/min snails that have been used. I also suspect a little bit of weight reduction (maybe 120lbs).
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

drwrx wrote:Can you say Hood bulge? Seriously, that is likely what they will have to do. The engine and mounting points won't change. The turbo & plumbing will run over and/or around the engine and will need additional hood clearance.
Or, like the miata, they just won't build it cause it doesn't fit in a way the OEM is happy.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

unequal lenght headers + turbo on the side + FMIC = problem solved
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

If you think about it, you could reverse the present headers and stick the turbo where the usual headers -> uppipe connection is. That would put it down low and in the front.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Great now you have to get the exhaust under an engine that's damn near the ground as is. Why don't we wait until we see some pics of the underbody to speculate on how we're smarter than the engineers of the world's biggest car manufacturer?
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Raven wrote:Great now you have to get the exhaust under an engine that's damn near the ground as is. Why don't we wait until we see some pics of the underbody to speculate on how we're smarter than the engineers of the world's biggest car manufacturer?
:ohsnap:

how's the repairs coming on that fine piece of machinery you drive? :bansex:
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Raven wrote:Great now you have to get the exhaust under an engine that's damn near the ground as is. Why don't we wait until we see some pics of the underbody to speculate on how we're smarter than the engineers of the world's biggest car manufacturer?
The exhaust already comes out down there, all we're doing it turning it :)

Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI