2013 Shelby GT500 spied on the Nürburgring

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

boomee
Tricycle

2013 Shelby GT500 spied on the Nürburgring

Post by boomee »

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/06/1 ... rburgring/

Ford and the SVT team are hard at work on the 2013 Shelby GT500, as evidenced by this latest batch of spy photos taken by BridgeToGantry.com. The pictures were taken at the famous Nürburgring racetrack where Ford was participating in a two-week long industry test session.

The photos raise quite a few questions about what will be in store for the 2013 Shelby GT500. First, it’s notable that Ford is testing the car there at all. The Nürburgring is usually a famous proving ground for companies like Porsche, and the investment in bringing a car and crew over to Europe signifies that SVT is doubling down on their effort to develop the GT500 into a world-class handling sports car.

One of the more noticeable features of the test car is the winglets fitted to the front bumper. It could very well be that Ford is experimenting with the aerodynamics of the car, but another possibility is that a track-focused version of the GT500 could be under development. Interestingly, the car has a graphic of the track map on the back. Could a Nürburgring special edition be in the works?

Finally, a large intercooler can be seen through the GT500′s lower grille. That could mean more output from the supercharged V8, as earlier speculated, or as the photographer ventures, a twin-turbocharger setup. “After listening to the car rumble muffledly past on an open throttle, I suspect the beast is turbocharged and that’s an intercooler,” he states on the web site.

Whatever Ford has in store for the next GT500, we can’t imagine that we’ll be disappointed. Expect official details on the car to come later this year, perhaps at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2013 Shelby GT500 spied on the Nürburgring

Post by zaxrex »

Turbocharged V-8 on an 'Merican icon?
Purists better get some new shorts.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

zaxrex wrote:Turbocharged V-8 on an 'Merican icon?
well spoken.

also, see: BONER! :hitit:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:plusone: Nice to see they are finally taking handling seriously (although the last few stang's have definitely been better!)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

You can spin some pretty meaty turbos with 2.7L per turbo.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

zaxrex wrote:Turbocharged V-8 on an 'Merican icon?
the purists are fine with turbos they have been for awhile now Roush hasnt been able to sell them in the states as a package becuase they couldnt get it 50 state leagal( there is a killer 5.0 twin turbo mustang in Europe) and Shelby already has plans for a turbo setup as well as others that really doesnt bother merican purist what they are worried about is the new IRS suspension if it isnt as strong as the old standby alot of dragracers are gonna be pissed as well as have to spend alot of money on parts
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

Sabre wrote::plusone: Nice to see they are finally taking handling seriously (although the last few stang's have definitely been better!)
yes they have I have driven a 2010 gt500 and the 2011 5.0 both have completely changed my veiw on mustangs it is on my short list for a weekend toy ( as well as a c5 vette and of course the sti)
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

Here is a link to a inside line video of the car it may/ may not be turbocharged now speculation its saying it may be a road racer allong the same lines as the boss 302 meaning its lighter and handling has been tweeked http://youtu.be/n7_Ge2gWXmM
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »