yet another suspension thread from MrKleen...

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

yet another suspension thread from MrKleen...

Post by Mr Kleen »

I contacted JDMpartsTX about suspension swaps and here's the reply:
JDMpartsTX wrote:If you want to do a V7 swap, you will have to use your stock top hats. If you want to use the top hats that come on the suspension, you will have to use the V8's. Your car is a V8. There is no quality difference between the top hats, just slightly different fitment. Are you looking to get a straight STI swap, or were you looking to get some STI Spec C's (better handling, about 3/4" lower, more aggressive spring rates). either way, we can help you with whatever you decide. Pricing will depend on what we were able to acquire the parts for. Generally, for regular STI's you're looking at $550-$650 shipped, and for Spec C's $750-$850 shipped.

The Spec C's will probably be a little more what you are looking for, they will give you improved performance but will still keep you with a nice OEM feel for daily driving. If you do go this route, You can always put the springs on your old suspension, and then find a buyer for those, or hold onto them for the future. Or you could find a buyer for your springs.

My $0.02,

John
so now the question is, do I go with the swap and sell my unused Tien H-Tech springs; or do I install the Tiens and get a set of Koni inserts? the Konis end up being almost as much as the swap after I pay somebody to do the "insert" part of the install. would it be difficult to find struts for the swap suspension?

questions questions questions...
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Why don't you sell the stock setup and go w/ some KYB adjustables all around :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

^^ what he said,
and arn't Megan Racing coilovers like $800?
Last edited by spazegun2213 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

KYB doesn't make a direct replacement for the 04-05 WRX. I've never heard of Megan Racing, but I'll check them out tonight.
Last edited by Mr Kleen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Damwagn had them on his FXTi... Looked like GREAT susp goodies for hella cheap. Check out subaruforester boards for some reviews. And yes, they are only like 800. Hmmmmm...... :twisted:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

how can they sell them for $800 when most coilovers go for well over $1k?

mmmm. perhaps it's time I learned how to properly corner weight my car...

EDIT: Official Info
list price for the WRX "street" coilovers is $1050.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Get in touch with Racecomp.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

hotsam wrote:Get in touch with Racecomp.
Racecomp carries the high dollar stuff club racer stuff that I wish I could afford. :lol:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

My buddy GTP on the subaruforester site is also running the megan coilovers...he seems to like them and he is an ex-professional SCCA champion driver :wink:

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Not sure but Gruppe-S has some stuff w/ free shipping:

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subsus.htm

And it shows the KYB AGX for '02+ WRX...I would think that would include '04. :wink:

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

to fit the KYBs in an 04-05 you have to use washers to shim the struts in. people do it but I'd rather avoid it if I can.

I don't need the coilovers, but man they look sweet. starting to like the idea of a "professional grade" suspension. 8)

my head is starting to spin from reading all the different info about suspensions... I might just install my h-tech springs and ride on them all summer. that would give me time to do more research and maybe go for a ride in a Scooby with the Megans.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

I think you should do the inserts. It's not hard, just messy. 8)
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

hmmm i cant help you too much, i mean what do you want? if you are going to want coilovers sometime, the megan ones are not that pricy. If you are not looking to do that, then inserts....

or you can just give your money to me :)
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

probably going to install my h-techs till I destroy the stock struts. that will give me more time to investigate. I don't really know anything about coilovers. a review of the Megans mentioned "helper springs." I don't even know what that is. that means I have homework to do... I can't let my tax refund burn a hole in my pocket. :P Darrin got me all excited about suspension mods so I'm going to blame this outburst on him. :wink: :wink:

(next mission: find somebody with coilovers and hitch a ride)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sorry about dumping all that on you and getting your hopes up. I'm glad John at JDMparts was able to shed a bit more light on everthing.

I can't figure out what the hell Subaru is thinking, changing the freaking suspension set ups every other year.

I'm glad you were able to find out that the the Ver. 9 set up wouldn't work before you got it. Sorry I ever passed it along.

I kept looking for info on the spec C suspension but never found any true "specs" on it.

You could always just keep your eyes open for a Ver. 8 STi suspension.

I am not a big fan of coilovers. Zak's are cool as they are adjustable from within the car. But to get a set-up to really work properly (both on the street and track) it requires a lot of knowledge and a lot of work. I would never advise coilovers for a daily driver with just mild track usage.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

yeah, see! it's all Darrin's fault! I NEVER get all excited about buying mods and then back out once the $$$ starts to add up. :wink:

never.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Just curious...I like the Tein EDFC (or however it is arranged) that controls the dampening from inside the car on the Tein Flex...anybody have any opinions on the Tein Flex...I know there are some new Tein Coilovers coming out that join both worlds (luxury and track) together to make the perfect street luxury coil overs but handle good....I also know that tanabe are coming out w/ something similar to the EDFC for their coil overs...I know tanabe makes good exhausts but that is about it...opinions?

I want something that handles good but when the wife is in the car, I can change it from a stiff jostling ride to a nice soft ride...especially w/ all the pain she has from time to time.

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Zak has the EDFC. it sounds very cool but it's too rich for my budget... :(
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:Zak has the EDFC. it sounds very cool but it's too rich for my budget... :(
The EDFC is only $300. The Tein Flex is were the money is...but would definitely be worth it for that kind of control.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Although I can't speak for Zak, I will tell you that his setup is sick ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sirwilliam wrote:
Mr Kleen wrote:Zak has the EDFC. it sounds very cool but it's too rich for my budget... :(
The EDFC is only $300. The Tein Flex is were the money is...but would definitely be worth it for that kind of control.
the EDFC isn't much use without the Tein suspension it's made for, that was my point. just more money than I have in the budget right now.

I dearly wanted the Praxis suspension setup to work but I don't think it does from what I've gathered online and in Sport Compact Car.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:I dearly wanted the Praxis suspension setup to work but I don't think it does from what I've gathered online and in Sport Compact Car.
Never has an automotive accessory promised so much delivered so little, and been panned so universally. Sport Compact car, Motor Trend and every on-line review I've ever read.