Why no Hi Powered 6cylinder 4 subaru

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

boomee
Tricycle

Why no Hi Powered 6cylinder 4 subaru

Post by boomee »

I was parusing through the porsche website( yes i torture myself sometimes) I was wondering why do you think that subaru dosent have any Hi powered car with a NA or even a twin turbo 6 cylinder in it ? Is it cost fuel economy something else? Just curious what you all would think if that ever was made
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Why no Hi Powered 6cylinder 4 subaru

Post by avriette »

boomee wrote:I was parusing through the porsche website( yes i torture myself sometimes) I was wondering why do you think that subaru dosent have any Hi powered car with a NA or even a twin turbo 6 cylinder in it ? Is it cost fuel economy something else? Just curious what you all would think if that ever was made
Perrin or somebody dropped the H6 into an STI chassis. It was a monster, but the weight distribution was fucked up and the power was too much for the chassis. Those four bangers make plenty of power, so why mess with a good thing?
rocket scientist
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I don't see how the power is too much for the chasis b/c there are STi's running 500+WHP and there are no issues...if you can get gobs of power out of a turbo'd H4, a turbo'd H6 is not much more of a change. They just need more R&D in one of those engines.

Just make a turbo'd H6 legacy STi wagon. :mrgreen: (or sedan if you must :roll: :lol: ) The Legacy already has the H6 in there...just build one that is FI and beef out some parts. :drive: I would even be okay with a high powered NA H6 with roughly 350-400hp but it is all about emissions and MPG these days.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Funny, this topic came up last night! The whole reason you don't see them is really cost. It is NOT cheap to do this. Also, the EZ30, EG33 and EZ36 are REALLY not meant for high boost levels. The EZ36 is actually the worst out of any of them because the sidewalls of the cylinder are so thin. For this reason (in addition to others), people usually choose the EZ30 or EG33.

BTW, here is a guy with my chassis (Impreza L) that ran a 9.9@142 on wastegate pressure. However, the mods include: EG33, 79mm stroker crank, Crower rods, Wiseco pistons, Billet cams, self ported heads, rotated intake, 3:1 headers, GT28-71 turbo x2, ID2000 injectors, ACT clutch, 5 speed dog gears < (weak link).

BTW, the oddness that I mentioned in the rods last night is the fact that they are shaped like a lambchop!
The EZ36D incorporates possibly the only implementation of an asymmetrical connecting rod in a modern application. The offset connecting rod was designed to allow additional displacement from the same exterior dimensions.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

I'd love an uprated NA 3.6L H6 in a Legacy Spec B with 6sp drivetrain and Brembo's. I think it would be a great alternative for an Infiniti G37S.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

Thx Sabre for the pics. That is pretty coincidental.
My Name is Adam.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

avriette wrote:Perrin or somebody dropped the H6 into an STI chassis. It was a monster, but the weight distribution was fucked up and the power was too much for the chassis. Those four bangers make plenty of power, so why mess with a good thing?
I don't know about all of that, but they had a hell of a time keeping the engines together. Plus the power output was not all that much larger than a stroked and sleeved H4 with comparable mods. Around 600 IIRC. No small potatoes, but also, not reached very easily.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

I wouldn't rule out that swap just because Perrin couldn't make it work. That was a foregone conclusion
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Yep, with a lot of custom fabrication, dedicated design and engineering time and subsequent productization, I too would be interested.
But I ain't doin' it myself.
In a second I would take the water injection setup they used though.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I'd like to see a nice NA H6 in the FT86. 8)
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

All the current ones are too tall to fit in there. But that would be awesome to have a shaker hood to fit your H-6 powered RWD racecar.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

zaxrex wrote:All the current ones are too tall to fit in there. But that would be awesome to have a shaker hood to fit your H-6 powered RWD racecar.
Or a sorta FT86 "M" with power bulge hood. 8)
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Raven wrote:
zaxrex wrote:All the current ones are too tall to fit in there. But that would be awesome to have a shaker hood to fit your H-6 powered RWD racecar.
i can absolutely get behind this.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I don't see Subaru EVER producing a twin turbo 6 on a production car.
The costs are simply too high and the market for such cars is extremely small and it would be neigh impossible for Subaru to make any profit off the small number of units it would sell.
Let's face it, Subaru can comfortably produce 350-380 hp from the ej257 without having to change a thing except the engine management. Why try to market a 400 hp flat 6 to a thin market.
A 350-380 hp Legacy with the right suspension and brake components would be more than a match for a S4 or 335i. Subaru would be foolish to even attempt to market anything against the M, RS or AMG products. Lexus even admitted their IS-F was a money loser. Toyota can afford to throw cash at such pipe dreams, Subaru, no.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Raven wrote:
:drool:
Not that the FT will ever make it to production... :rolllaugh:
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

drwrx wrote:I don't see Subaru EVER producing a twin turbo 6 on a production car.
The costs are simply too high and the market for such cars is extremely small and it would be neigh impossible for Subaru to make any profit off the small number of units it would sell.
Let's face it, Subaru can comfortably produce 350-380 hp from the ej257 without having to change a thing except the engine management. Why try to market a 400 hp flat 6 to a thin market.
A 350-380 hp Legacy with the right suspension and brake components would be more than a match for a S4 or 335i. Subaru would be foolish to even attempt to market anything against the M, RS or AMG products. Lexus even admitted their IS-F was a money loser. Toyota can afford to throw cash at such pipe dreams, Subaru, no.
Its very simple do what they seem to be doing with the STI start it out as a bargain basement price show that its a world class giant killer and when everyone is on to it start to charge alot more money ex 2011 STI hatch now is very close to 40,000 grand WTH. ALot of other brands are able to do it and I understand Subaru is small but as you get older and are more established you would probably want something like that. I see alot of my STI friends now looking at vettes, S4s and RS4s even the new Gt500 ( nice). I guess really though if you want a fat six and you have money to burn Porsche will gladdly take your money (freaken stupid engine in the back hard to freaken work on!)
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

oh an djust to make sure you all arent taking this wrong I still love subaru. there will always be at least one if not two in my family. Some times when you got something good though you ask for more and even better. I am paitiently wating to see what this FT-86 thing is about and even maybe a new sti in the future so who knows. I have a feeling that if subaru really wanted to they could make some sort of sedan coup wagon exct with a high performing flat six just doesnt look like they want to.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

drwrx wrote:I don't see Subaru EVER producing a twin turbo 6 on a production car.
Can you say FQ-400?
rocket scientist
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

boomee wrote:oh an djust to make sure you all arent taking this wrong I still love subaru. there will always be at least one if not two in my family. Some times when you got something good though you ask for more and even better. I am paitiently wating to see what this FT-86 thing is about and even maybe a new sti in the future so who knows. I have a feeling that if subaru really wanted to they could make some sort of sedan coup wagon exct with a high performing flat six just doesnt look like they want to.
i don't think anyone here had taken anything you posted as suby-hate. while i don't necessarily see a problem with a ultra high-performance suby with a big six, i don't see much of that in subaru's blood.

they've been funky, practical, futuristic at times even. but at no point have they aimed for the territory you're talking about. gt500, vette, etc. i just don't think it's in their dna.

look at how tame that heart-wrenching ft project is becoming... i just don't see them risking it.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

complacent wrote: i don't think anyone here had taken anything you posted as suby-hate. while i don't necessarily see a problem with a ultra high-performance suby with a big six, i don't see much of that in subaru's blood.

they've been funky, practical, futuristic at times even. but at no point have they aimed for the territory you're talking about. gt500, vette, etc. i just don't think it's in their dna.
Yeah, THIS. They make rally cars, and that's in their DNA. That's what helps them drive their development. But it isn't what they sell on the street and it's not intended to be. Rally cars are loud and obnoxious. They misfire and eat turbos for lunch. STIs are pretty close to that mean and awful. This isn't to say I didn't love my STI. I loved every single bit of its mean and awfulness. But Subaru is not going to produce a Shelby GT500 Subaru. No twin-turbo, 480-hp skyline-killer STI. That's not what they do. Their cars last a bajillion miles and their owners come back for car after car after car.

Sure, we bought a Mercedes when we traded in the STI. But we bought it because it was more comfortable and I'd broken four vertebrae. And we thought long and hard about buying a 2011/2012 STI. We were really, really close to taking in the 06 and just getting a new STI. In the end, it was the comfort and the quiet of the Mercedes after five years of droning and screaming exhaust and intake in the STI (and the bone-jarring ride, which was really taking a toll on me on these stupid DC area roads).

I'd love a Leggy GT as an alternate car, and I think that's what Subaru is about. Oh, and I loved the Tribeca. I wish they'd made a Tribeca XT with a little more power, but good grief, no 400-hp FX45-killer Tribeca. It's just not what Subaru is about.
rocket scientist
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

There needs to be a Gemballa for Subaru.
But then how many people would pay five times the vehicle price for the upgrade?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

zaxrex wrote:There needs to be a Gemballa for Subaru.
But then how many people would pay five times the vehicle price for the upgrade?
A few crazy Brits do now. :wink:
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

zaxrex wrote:There needs to be a Gemballa for Subaru.
Dude you never know people pay for exclusivity and performance and luxury. Look at what people are paying for the boss mustangs right now. Also zo6 and even look at the evo wich is getting up there in price even faster than the sti. also the 1m its all in how its marketed and the performance figures it can be done but as other people have said who thinks subaru wants to.