2012 SLK to get "magic sky control"

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

2012 SLK to get "magic sky control"

Post by avriette »

I just noticed this. I realize some of you don't quiiiite care, but the link is interesting:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/20/vide ... ith-magic/
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoe ... w_slk.html
The roof of the 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLK has been teased, giving us a glimpse of the Magic Sky Control that could be contained within. As with the panorama roof on the big daddy SL roadster, there's quite a bit of 'bezel' around the central open area, probably containing the electrical components necessary to work that 'magic'.

The roof will be opaque normally, and there will be no electrical action going on. At the press of a button, however, a charge will be run through the top panel which will arrange particles contained in the glass to allow light to pass through. Voila, magic. Or physics, take your pick. The next SLK will show itself in person at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show.

Not that I'm unhappy with my own car, mind, but I do occasionally get burned with the roof off (and if you put sunscreen in the car it will get hot and asplode when you park it...!) and it might be nice to just un-darken the roof.
rocket scientist
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: 2012 SLK to get "magic sky control"

Post by PGT »

Snap glass. Welcome to ten years ago
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

PGT wrote:Snap glass. Welcome to ten years ago
Yes, yes, but this does not mean it is not AWESOME. If I could have had it in the STI, I would have paid for it. If I could have had it in my SLK, I would have paid for it. It's a good use and it's pretty to boot. Not everything has to be coated in graphene and carbotanium.
rocket scientist
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i think it's a cool idea.

could make pretty drives even prettier.

still not as good as seeing it on two wheels though.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

why the hell NOT???? :ugh:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

PGT wrote:why the hell NOT???? :ugh:
Colin or I could explain to you why the two wheel experience is better, but you wouldn't believe either of us. I will attempt to outline the better things though.

First, you're IN the environment, not TRAVELING in the environment. A cage protects you from everything. A bike immerses you.

Second, the bike, irrespective of sheer speed (which is not up for argument) allows you to feel the environment. You lean into and out of turns. You feel weight transfers in a whole new way. In a cage, you feel your leg pressed against the door, your hands against the wheel, your ribs against the seat bolsters. On a bike, it's you and the air. And the asphalt.

Third, camaraderie (although this is up for some debate). The "two down" salute thing is pretty common, at least among more polite riders, and you just get a sense of community on two wheels that you don't get in a cage, even if you're part of DCAWD or mbworld or slkworld or whatever. Bike owners look after eachother, respect eachother, understand eachother's perspectives (even if they don't agree), and are generally a good bunch. Cagers are dicks. Generally. But there are dick bikers, squid bikers, and the dentist-on-a-harley types, too. But they're the exception not the rule.

I will always, always, always pick the bike for a ride on a nice day compared to the SLK because it just feels better. I feel like I'm one with the environment. I feel the humidity and air density changes around turns and over hills. I don't get that in my "kleine." And believe me, I love my SLK.

Holy shit, I hijacked my own thread. Awesome.
rocket scientist
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

First....my reply was to the carbotanium comment, not Colin's. Second, I understand the two wheel thing quite well....note the "loud pipes save lives" Staintune fart can on it :nana:

PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

back on topic, my car has a Panorama roof. Its also got a nice power sunshade. The "magic sky" think would be nice in that you could vent the roof and still have air but make the panel solid so there's no sun. On my car, shade closed means roof closed. Combine that with a hardtop roof (i.e. no B pillar) and its quite the open car.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

PGT wrote:Combine that with a hardtop roof (i.e. no B pillar) and its quite the open car.
I has no B-pillar :D
rocket scientist
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Duh. YOu have a two seat vert.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I think it's pretty cool tech to be bringing to a car, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "How much does it weigh? That's a lot of weight up top!"
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

150lbs is the figure I've heard for the glass roof option on my car.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:notcool:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

yeah, but with 400hp...who cares? And, 50/50 weight distro. The car will still handle well and if you're looking for a track car or autocrosser, there are cheaper/faster options.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

That is a lot of weight up top that could be saved in the name of better CG. I'm guessing that people that buy that option are not really concerned about that though.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

If given a choice, I'll take the roof all day long. I missed having a sunroof in the STI. I also had a panorama roof in the MINI. Sure, you're losing something but you'd have to be a propeller-head to notice it unless you drive two cars back-to-back.