So I rented a C6 [vanilla] ...

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

So I rented a C6 [vanilla] ...

Post by scheherazade »

Strange experience. Nothing like what I expected.

I know it's a pretty good track car, so I was expecting something stiff and steady, and light on its feet.
Since I had a ton of fun in the elise SC (RWD, light), I was expecting something approaching that with the vette.

It wasn't nearly what I expected ... well, yes and no.

Suspension wise the c6 was so misleading.
The car pitches and rolls CONSTANTLY. When you're cruising, it's got the 'crown vic' feel to it. Every bump leaves it oscillating on and on and on.

But when I jerked the wheel over hard, the thing just scooted like it's glued down - and to boot, with much less body roll than the incessant wobble would make me expect. Very little push.

It squats a good bit when you floor it, but doesn't have much brake dive...

Flooring it at 60mph was all smiles. The nose lifts up and there's a hair of roll, not exactly confidence inspiring.
With the intense growl, and beautiful in-cab resonance (v8 symphony), and good acceleration, I couldn't help but smile (and a little giggle the first few pulls). The drama adds to the fun in its own way.

All in all, for being a 'relatively light' car (in comparison to say, the gtr), it felt heavy - at least so long as you were steering near center.
The elise SC has an amazing feel (imo much nicer than the gtr), whereas the vette feels sloppy by comparison.

All in all, I would summarize the c6 like this : capable, but wobble wobble wobble wobble ...

Contrast that to an altima coupe that I also rented.
It didn't wobble or oscillate much at all when cruising (strangely, less than the c6), very composed over bumps.
But if I turned the wheel over hard, it would roll more, and I could see/hear/feel the front understeering.

The composure that the gtr has [in comparison to the c6] is just unreal. For a heavier car, it feels so much lighter than the c6.
I really was expecting the lighter corvette to feel better [and more fun]. But it didn't. Not at all. It just felt ponderous.

-scheherazade
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: So I rented a C6 [vanilla] ...

Post by Sabre »

Great review, thanks!

I drove a C6 when they first came out at a car day at FedEx. I have to admit, my first impression was "OMG, I can't see out of this thing!!!" The rack on the front windshield and the back window were ridiculous, but maybe that is because I haven't driven any "sports" cars :lol: After that, I found the car to understeer pretty badly when pushed to it's limits. I really thought it would have more grip. The power and sound of the V8 is great though. Amazing that the push-rod has been around for so long in these cars!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Sabre wrote:Amazing that the push-rod has been around for so long in these cars!
The push rods keep the engine very compact and make room for the double wishbone front suspension. :wink:
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

yeah defintly i have driven many c6s i actually prefer the c5 zo6 even though it is a little nervous. i want to try the ZR1 becuse its suppose to be nice like the c6 but not punishing like the zo6 and handle like a dream. i think the suspension bits are coming to the camaro( bleh). I like the mustangs suspension best right now lol. ok enough late night ranting lol
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:Great review, thanks!

I drove a C6 when they first came out at a car day at FedEx. I have to admit, my first impression was "OMG, I can't see out of this thing!!!"
:plusone: I always liked the Corvette but after driving one I don't think it's the car for me. :|