2011 Mini Rocketman Concept

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

One of the few complaints about the concept of the modern Mini is its size. When compared to the original, the Mini almost looks like a full-size car. At the Geneva Motor Show, Mini will unveil its Rocketman concept, a smaller three-door hatch that harkens back to the original introduced more than 50 years ago.

The 2011 Mini Rocketman Concept measures just 135.0 in. in overall length, just slightly longer than the original Mini and nearly a foot shorter than the current car. Though compact in length, it has a roomy cabin thanks to its 75-in. width and 55-in. height.
Video window may take a few moments to load...

Styling cues, including the headlamps and grille opening, are taken more from the modern Mini, as is the wraparound glass greenhouse. Several distinctive design touches include the external door hinges, transparent and lighted glass roof, contrasting wheel arches and trapezoidal stirrups on the rear flanks that house the LED taillamps. The transparent and illuminated roof shows off roof braces arranged in the pattern of bars on the British Union Jack flag.

The unique double-jointed hinging mechanism allows the doors to be opened wide even in tight parking spaces, and the doors themselves have integrated rocker panel/sills that further ease vehicle ingress/egress.

Built with a carbon fiber spaceframe, the Rocketman features composite body panels and other weight saving measures that enhance fuel economy. While Mini declines to elaborate on the drivetrain, it says the powerplant promises fuel economy of 94 mpg.

Three Plus One Seating

In order to maximize the interior, Mini has developed what it calls 3+1 seating in which the space for the front two passengers is optimized by allowing their seats to be positioned as far rearward as possible. The front passenger then can reposition the seat slightly ahead of the most forward position of the driver, which allows for leg room in the rear comparable to that of a standard Mini. While there isn’t as much leg room behind the driver, that seat is available as a +1 seat for the 4th passenger on short hops.

Other interesting features include a split tailgate that features a lower pull-out drawer and integrated rear cargo carrier. This drawer arrangement recalls the downward opening tailgate of the original Mini and can be used to carry additional cargo in the out position when there are four passengers aboard. A portion of the rear roof area opens with the top half of the hatch giving greater access to the load area.

2011 Mini Rocketman Concept Interior

While the concept features a traditional Mini layout to the instrumentation, including a center-mounted speedometer, there is also a second instrument cluster positioned above the steering wheel allowing the driver to see the rev counter and on-board computer display similar to a head-up display. All control elements can be driver-accessed from the steering wheel—many of the functions are controlled by a trackball built into the right-hand side of the wheel.

All graphics on the instrument panel are displayed in high quality, 3D images which allow relevant information to be displayed in the foreground, with secondary information displayed behind, ready to be toggled to the forward position if need be.

While there’s no word of whether the Rocketman will make it into production, the fact that Mini is considering such a vehicle is a welcome development for purists in light of recent introductions of larger and larger Minis in the form of the Clubman and Countryman.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2011 Mini Rocketman Concept

Post by Sabre »

sirwilliam wrote:Built with a carbon fiber spaceframe, the Rocketman features composite body panels and other weight saving measures that enhance fuel economy. While Mini declines to elaborate on the drivetrain, it says the powerplant promises fuel economy of 94 mpg.

All control elements can be driver-accessed from the steering wheel—many of the functions are controlled by a trackball built into the right-hand side of the wheel.

All graphics on the instrument panel are displayed in high quality, 3D images which allow relevant information to be displayed in the foreground, with secondary information displayed behind, ready to be toggled to the forward position if need be.
94MPG? That's almost unheard of in a production car, I'll be curious if they can keep that claim. If it is indeed built of carbon fiber, I'll be very interested in how much this thing is going to cost. Then again, it's so small that might not be a problem.

On the track wheel end of things I only had one though: Jason is going to love this thing.

The idea of the 3D gauges is interesting. I need to see it in practice I think to appreciate it (I can't see the video at work, so maybe that will answer my questions).
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

a glass roof?

huh?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, ya, not exactly a weight saving measure...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.