Nissan Leaf: Fear the Turtle

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Nissan Leaf: Fear the Turtle

Post by zaxrex »

...Although the details in the complaints on the MyNissanLeaf forum differ, the common thread in each is the Leaf suddenly paring back the estimates of its range in the middle of a trip, ending in a brief "turtle" mode — marked by an orange turtle icon on the Leaf's dash — followed by the car shutting down to prevent battery damage....
Open the LINK to red the full article, and if you want to see some really bad puns, read the comments.
It'll Leaf you stranded?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Nissan Leaf: Fear the Turtle

Post by PGT »

egads. I'd really like something like this.....makes a lot of sense for my daily grind. something a bit more fun, like a Fisker could convince me to not have two cars though
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

half-baked.

clearly not ready to replace petrol.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

A good point brought up is that cold weather will effect these cars dramatically. Why they didn't put a heater on the batteries like the rest of the cars out there, I do not know...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I had a different comment but after reading the article (instead of skimming)... :shock:
thermatico
Yugo owner

Post by thermatico »

Sabre wrote:A good point brought up is that cold weather will effect these cars dramatically. Why they didn't put a heater on the batteries like the rest of the cars out there, I do not know...
If you lose more power running the heaters than you get back from the batteries be warm, it's probably not worth it.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

That's exactly what I thought, then I read the article and it mentioned that other companies' hybrid vehicles use battery heaters for cold weather range.
thermatico
Yugo owner

Post by thermatico »

Mr Kleen wrote:That's exactly what I thought, then I read the article and it mentioned that other companies' hybrid vehicles use battery heaters for cold weather range.
True, but the leaf is pure electric. In the hybrids, you've got gasoline to cover the spread.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Good point, that could very well be. I had honestly thought that they would only use the heaters while it was charging in cold weather, so it would pull the power it needed from the socket. LOL, if they were using the batteries... the heaters might not work if they can't get enough juice out of the them. haha
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.