Running with the big boys (bigger anyway)

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

DamSedan
I walk to work

Running with the big boys (bigger anyway)

Post by DamSedan »

Well, it has been a while but things are starting to come together. I am currently waiting for parts to arrive. I have ordered a DNPerformance exhaust (yes, another turbo back set up), Perrin tmic w/ Y pipe, sti ecu. I already have the vf39 at the house. Hopefully some time next weekend I can get it all put on provided it gets here. Also waiting on Tower braces and H brace. Most of the parts shipped yesterday or today so I have a week to go!

So I have heard that stock sti hp numbers are right around 220 to the wheels. I am really surprised as that is a large drop even though it is awd. Does anyone have confirmation on that? I am just trying to guesstimate where I will be when these parts go on.
I will always be the DRNWAGN!
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

A lot of the differences between number can be attributed to different dyno setups and conditions.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Products ... x-US.shtml

I've seen everything from 50 to 80 hp drivetrain loss.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

I can understand the dyno setup issue. I still think it sucks. I am still way off from where I want to be. I was really shooting to be around 300 at the wheels. Looks like I may have to continue on at some point with larger injectors, pump and em. I am thinking that that should get me closer to my goal in the end. Maybe even a larger turbo down the road. I just do not want to be tinkering with anything. I want it to run like stock so I am thinking that I need to find a good tuner that can do the ecutek reflash. Supposedly Westminster Speed/Sound is getting the updated software. The question is whether or not they are considered good tuners and know what the heck they are doing. But this should suffice me for now. I want to hit the brakes and sway bars before any more speed/power goes into the car.
Andrewtech
I'm a n000b

Post by Andrewtech »

Personally I think I would get modded stock injectors, fuel pump, UTEC, and tuned. I would think that with the exhaust and the above parts you shouldn't be far off from your goal.
Good luck!
Andrew@Hillmuth
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

The sti ecu is now in the car! Sweet! Talk about fun. I am only waiting for my silicon hose kit to arrive so that I can install the tmic. After that it will be done. time to start thinking about some brakes. I figure I will just add some better pads, lines and fluid for now. When it is time for new rotors then things will get interesting.

None the less, the car is significantly faster with no ill side affects (other than the grin that seems to be stuck on my face). Right now the car just seems to look like any other car out there with an exhaust even though it is a wagon. Then you let it loose and things just get stupid! Wew this is fun!
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

DRNWAGN wrote:The sti ecu is now in the car! ...
None the less, the car is significantly faster with no ill side affects (other than the grin that seems to be stuck on my face). Right now the car just seems to look like any other car out there with an exhaust even though it is a wagon. Then you let it loose and things just get stupid! Wew this is fun!
Congrats on the swap :) Glad things are going well with it too! BTW, I'm willing to bet you notice how finiky the STI ECU is... Just wait, you'll notice it. Some days I feel like I'm driving a wild boor, others a mule. I can SMELL my damn EM, so close, and yet so far away...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

Yah, what is up with the Hydra? I know phil has the tuning on the sti up and going. I know he is running one on his wrx with a forester engine in it which is pretty much the same thing.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

DRNWAGN wrote:Yah, what is up with the Hydra? I know phil has the tuning on the sti up and going. I know he is running one on his wrx with a forester engine in it which is pretty much the same thing.
From: "Dan - Godspeed Inc." <ej20@twmi.rr.com> Save Address | Headers
To : <jzottl@radiantnetworks.net>
CC :
Date : Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:49:50 -0400
Subject : RE: Order for the Nemesis
We are testing beta units now. We expect production units within a the
month of October.

Dan
Godspeed Inc.
http://www.godspeedinc.com
248-305-8140
248-305-8150

That's always the reply :( This better be worth it, I've been waiting a LONG time for this...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

You are going though Godspeed to get the Hydra? Why did you not just contact Phil at Element and see where he is with it?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

DRNWAGN wrote:You are going though Godspeed to get the Hydra? Why did you not just contact Phil at Element and see where he is with it?
It's probably what I'm going to have to do... I bought it as part of a package deal from Godspeed ( the downpipe and intake), but he hasn't charged me for it yet, so I'm guessing I can just cancel my order with him and get it from Phil direct.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

I do not know if the cost will be any different but I think Phil told me that it was about $1400 or so for the Hydra plus tuning time at like $80 an hour. He said that two hours would get you going but 4 would have it running as if it were stock and you would not be able to tell the difference.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Yep, 1400 is what Dan quoted me with the package. If it's going to run that well, I'll do the 4 :) I can't wait to see this thing!!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

According to Phil it will. We were supposed to link up and try it out on my car but we could not get our timing together. He did say that they are still testing it though but from what he was saying it was pretty much done! I can not imagine the tunability with that thing. Just wish I knew what the hell I was doing so I could get one! Right now I am happy to say that I have the fastest FXT around (until Maestro gets his together).
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I wrote him an e-mail, so we'll see :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

It usually takes him a day or so to get back to you. Just hang in there. I am sure he will respond. I think he is one of the only guys that I would feel comfortable letting tune my car. Other than Andrew working on it in general that is.
Jmj1112
I'm a n000b

Post by Jmj1112 »

WOW..........these are old posts.........I agree on the best two guys working on the car!!!!!
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

I don't know where everyone has been. I guess on Nasioc.