Aaarrgh!!!

Make your baby look great!

Moderator: Moderators

captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Aaarrgh!!!

Post by captainslow »

So for those of you sitting at my end of the table tonight, do you remember when I said that my day sucked so badly that I would have been better off not waking up this morning?

The day wasn't over yet!

There was ONE spot left in my apt building and it was between a Camry on the left and a yellow pillar on my right and was just barely wide enough to fit my car. And foolishly I tried to park and shredded my bumper on the pillar.

It looks worse than it is b/c of the flash. It's not quite as obvious. But there is quite a bit of scuffed paint and yellow paint mixed in there, on the bumper and the fog light housing. And it appears the lip is scuffed too, though it probably happened earlier. And despite what I just said, I really try to keep my car looking perfect. I fret over its appearance. I guarantee that I will lose sleep over this tonight.

Is this definitely a job requiring a repaint job by a shop? Or is there anything I can do on my own that would result in an improvement in the appearance? It's not a show car but I just don't want it looking as terrible as it does now. And if it should get professionally done, if you have any recommendations for places that have reasonable prices, please share.

Aye how embarrassing. :handhead: I'm glad this day is over (fingers crossed).
chicken n waffles

Re: Aaarrgh!!!

Post by chicken n waffles »

pardon the cliche, but it'll buff right out.

well most of it.

you don't even need an orbital buffer. just get some buffing pads and a good paint cleaner (i recommend meguiars which you can get at autozone) and start buffing some of that crap out. it won't look perfect by any means, but a low-speed scrape like that usually means the paint from the other object will not be ground into your car which makes it relatively easy to remove. the scratches/nicks/chips, though, are there to stay. shops are going to want to repaint the entire bumper. they like to b.s. about having to blend the paint and get it even across the entire surface. be prepared to scoff at their quotes unless you find a place that can do spot repair (and if you find one, let me know!).
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

a wise man once said:
chicken n waffles wrote:pardon the cliche, but it'll buff right out.

well most of it.

you don't even need an orbital buffer. just get some buffing pads and a good paint cleaner (i recommend meguiars which you can get at autozone) and start buffing some of that crap out. it won't look perfect by any means, but a low-speed scrape like that usually means the paint from the other object will not be ground into your car which makes it relatively easy to remove. the scratches/nicks/chips, though, are there to stay. shops are going to want to repaint the entire bumper. they like to b.s. about having to blend the paint and get it even across the entire surface. be prepared to scoff at their quotes unless you find a place that can do spot repair (and if you find one, let me know!).
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

Thanks Ben! Anything to save me a several hundred dollar fix. Some guy heard me telling the doorman about it last night and said he did the same thing to his Mercedes and it cost him $2,000 to fix. I almost had a heart attack. I'd rather pretend not to see the damage than pay that. And the pic really makes it look worse than it is - just the surface is scratched up, nothing deeper. But thanks again, I appreciate your advice.
chicken n waffles

if you want some help let me know. you could always buff it and slap some :unamused: stickers on top to cover the scratches ;D. i have plenty.

if hand buffing doesn't get all of it out, you could step up to the aforementioned orbital buffer. there are a few folks floating around who have one.

i'm really anal about my car too so i feel your pain. if you can't stand the sight of the damage once you've buffed the paint out, i recommend potomac motors (they do body work too) which is the body shop used by don beyer subaru down on route 1 near the mount vernon multiplex. do NOT go to old town body shop.

oh - invest in some touch up paint. it looks like you have OBP, yes?

bottle of OBP touch up - $8
-Ben
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

I used to detail cars back in my previous life. I kept my S4 clean and have all the tools necessary. Now that I have the wagon, I'm more interested in getting her dirty. I actually look for muddy construction sites to tear up :ya:

Check out some of my work:
Acura RL
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/802 ... post812548

Mercedes CLK55
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/853 ... clk55.html

BMW 540i
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/925 ... post948712

I live right down the street from you. Let me know if you need any help.
chicken n waffles

TRANS4M wrote:I used to detail cars back in my previous life. I kept my S4 clean and have all the tools necessary. Now that I have the wagon, I'm more interested in getting her dirty. I actually look for muddy construction sites to tear up :ya:

Check out some of my work:
Acura RL
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/802 ... post812548

Mercedes CLK55
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/853 ... clk55.html

BMW 540i
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/925 ... post948712

I live right down the street from you. Let me know if you need any help.
hey, do you have the tools to remove scratches from windshields? very fine scratches, but deep enough to not come off after using windshield scratch remover.
-Ben
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

i believe i do. I'll have to check the garage and get back to you.
chicken n waffles

sweeeeet. i look forward to hearing back.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Blixa wrote:I fret over its appearance. I guarantee that I will lose sleep over this tonight.
Sorry to hear about the conclusion of your night :( Definitely not worth loosing sleep over though! Most of it will buff out as people have mentioned above. That Merc owner must have done something besides scratching the paint off for that amount of loot! I would think to repaint that area would only be a couple hundred bucks.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
missvenezuela85

Post by missvenezuela85 »

:( I don't blame you for losing sleep over it (I probably would). I scraped the sh*t out of my mirror in my old Camry and I was so mad at myself... course I done totally messed it up... Anyways... I know this whole story I just wrote was pointless... but what I wanted to say was :( and that I can relate the the losing sleep comment.....
Boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants oh and www.annadventure.com <---- :eek: :plusone: & :bowd:
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

thank you all for the sympathy. i feel a bit better about it today. i'll set to work with the buffering. if i need any help, i'll give you guys a holler. thanks again!