captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

leather seats

Post by captainslow »

I'm thinking about purchasing leather seat covers from here:
http://www.leatherseats.com/WRX_leather_kit.asp

or here:
http://www.katzkin.com/05/FC/mainFS.html

If anyone has done a cloth to leather switch before, if you have any recommendations for retailers (local and online), I would really appreciate hearing them. It looks like that place Adler and Mandel in MD seems to have a good rep and I think they sell the Katzkin covers, though I can't find what they charge online. And the upstanding citizens of NASIOC had some good things to say about Leatherseats.com from a group purchase a couple years ago. I was reading the installation faqs and it definitely sounds like a job I would screw up horribly so any other upholsterer recs in the area are appreciated as well.

And no slight toward the cloth seats. I just have a white furry dog that sheds like it's his job and loves rides in the car, whose hair is too much for dog car seat covers to handle, and white dog fur and black cloth just doesn't mix very well. :puke:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: leather seats

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've thought about doing this ever since I got my WRX in 2004 but have yet to take the plunge. From my research, I'd go with Katzkin but I have no idea where I'd get them installed. no WAY I'm doing that one myself. :lol:

good luck and keep us posted.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

hmm. let us know how it goes. couldn't be any worse than stock subie leather. not a big fan of my legacy seats.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote:I've thought about doing this ever since I got my WRX in 2004 but have yet to take the plunge. From my research, I'd go with Katzkin but I have no idea where I'd get them installed. no WAY I'm doing that one myself. :lol:

good luck and keep us posted.
i've done TONS of leather covers and Katzkin is by far my favorite aftermarket brand.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Dude, I think you just nominated yourself to be her installer.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

We have an aftermarket shop that installs leather for us. A lot of people like the Outback in Premium trim but want to get the leather. So as soon as my new Sales Manager started here he saw the interest people were showing. So he fired a Premium trim Outback to the aftermarket shop to have surgery. They use Kaitzkin leather. It wasn't on the showroom floor long at all before it sold.
The only difference I noticed was the Kaitzkin was not perforated the way Suby leather is. So maybe it won't "breathe" as well? I don't know. The Kaitzkin is definitely plusher than any OE leather. The shop color matched it perfect. The door cards have Suby leather and there was no difference. They even keep the airbags in the seats. Pretty cool.
I think it costs 15-1700. Pretty pricey. Especially if this company will give you DIY kits.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

zaxrex wrote:Dude, I think you just nominated yourself to be her installer.
nuh-uh!!!

:on2me:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

thermobox wrote:We have an aftermarket shop that installs leather for us. A lot of people like the Outback in Premium trim but want to get the leather. So as soon as my new Sales Manager started here he saw the interest people were showing. So he fired a Premium trim Outback to the aftermarket shop to have surgery. They use Kaitzkin leather. It wasn't on the showroom floor long at all before it sold.
The only difference I noticed was the Kaitzkin was not perforated the way Suby leather is. So maybe it won't "breathe" as well? I don't know. The Kaitzkin is definitely plusher than any OE leather. The shop color matched it perfect. The door cards have Suby leather and there was no difference. They even keep the airbags in the seats. Pretty cool.
I think it costs 15-1700. Pretty pricey. Especially if this company will give you DIY kits.
do they squeak all to hell like the stock legacy leather?

well, it's really only the driver's seat, and it's only when initially sitting down/shifting around. and you really only hear it when the radio isn't on. but during then dammit it's annoying!
-Ben
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

Thanks guys for the feedback.

FYI Adler and Mandel quoted me $1100 for Katzkin seats and installation. It's what I expected since the DIY kits are $750 and it involves what looks to be the sort of tedious labor that would occupy several hours of time for even the most dexterous of people. I can only be considered dexterous when compared to hand amputees so installation is probably a task better left to the pros.

The amount was for one color (black) with red stitching. If you want a different color insert, it's an extra $100.

I'm thinking it over. $1100 could buy a lot of beer. But it could also save me from the endless torment of seeing a dog hair disaster in my beloved car. We shall see.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

1100 can buy you a lot of lint rollers :rolllaugh:
- 2011 SWP WRX Hatch limited
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

1100 bucks will also buy you all kinds of JDM interior solutions http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php? ... =13&page=3
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

thermobox wrote:1100 bucks will also buy you all kinds of JDM interior solutions http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php? ... =13&page=3
ooh thanks!

i think i'm going to hold off on the leather for now. if i can find a way to get it and installed for under $800, i'd consider it but right now $1,100 is a bit rich for my blood.