turbo noises are not good.

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

turbo noises are not good.

Post by avriette »

the spt intake makes lots of whooshy noises so if you're the type that likes a lot of gel in your hair you can feel confident that you drive a manly turbocharged car. we kind of think it's silly. but since we've had it installed, we've both had the car with the pedal-to-the-metal a number of times, and we've gotten accustomed to what our turbo sounds like. sort of how you notice a new "tick" in your car's idle or something, right?

so today, ahem, on the dyno, I was topping out fourth and fifth, and the boost would peak and hold and as i exceeded 5,000rpm under boost (mind, it was between 4,000 and 7,000 rpm for a while, shifting gears) the turbo began to make a strange noise. other than the normal screamy whiny thing the turbo just does, it started to sound very faintly like it was abrading something. i mean, picture a dremel. when it spins, it makes noise. the second you have the faintest contact with anything with that rotating tip, the pitch and the sound change. that's what i'm talking about. it almost sounded like the wheel on either end (I guess with the intake and the windows open, that means the cold side) was dragging in the snail.

i got curious, so i put a jersey wall next to the dyno to make sure i was hearing me, and not something else, ah, in the shop, and it got clearer. that is, i could hear it more. i've heard of oil starvation problems. is it possible i got the car too hot and spent too much time above 4k and maybe the turbo got a little unhappy? it's under the powertrain warranty, and it is stock, so it's covered, but they're not going to take the turbo down just to have a look if they don't think there's anything wrong.

any guesses?
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: turbo noises are not good.

Post by Sabre »

Ya, I would take it into the dealership. Sounds like the journal bearing has failed in the turbo. If this has happened, it could start sending bit's into the engine. Sorry man, that sucks :( How many miles do you have on the new engine? I almost wonder if some of the break-in material didn't get into the bearings.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:Ya, I would take it into the dealership. Sounds like the journal bearing has failed in the turbo. If this has happened, it could start sending bit's into the engine. Sorry man, that sucks :( How many miles do you have on the new engine? I almost wonder if some of the break-in material didn't get into the bearings.
We have 31900 on the motor, and less than a thousand since they buttoned it up. Is there a better oil line I could ask them to install? like something larger diameter? Or an oil pan with a better sump or baffles? More pressure oil pump?

Are there foil bearing turbos yet?
rocket scientist
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

The problem isn't the oil supply, unfortunately. The stock VF series turbos are simple bearing units and only have so much oomph in them. A dealer replacement would be significantly less painful than an aftermarket unit (unless one is searching for stupid powA) and every bit as capable as the stock injectors.

I agree with Sabre - get the dealer to swap it out. Much easier on teh wallet and can go as far as your squirters are willing to take you. Beyond that point, it's a 1.5k buy in, minimum.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

complacent wrote:Much easier on teh wallet and can go as far as your squirters are willing to take you. Beyond that point, it's a 1.5k buy in, minimum.
Yep!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.