Thoughts on Setup

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Thoughts on Setup

Post by 4X4R8D »

I am not trying to go to crazy, but I want to get a better flow on the exhaust system. One of the first recommended mod is to get away from the Stock uppipe. What are the thoughts of me picking up a STI uppipe? Or should I go a better direction? For the exhaust, I was looking for something more of a stock look not a big tin can. Any recommendations? And let say for the rest of the system. Should I search for Impreza Wagon exhaust system? They are equivalent to the Saabaru? Right?

Sorry, if these are noob questions.... I have been trying to do my search.... I was just seeing what your experiences were like.

Thanks
2005 9-2X Aero 4EAT/Premium/Cold Weather/Sport Package/Deep Blue Metallic
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/rs1620/Saabaru/ OldYJ Civic Xterra
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Thoughts on Setup

Post by sirwilliam »

First thing is get that STi uppipe (catless) and then go with a catted 3" DP...then you can catback later or get the full TBE at once.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

If your power goals are modest, an STi UP is a great idea. (Bank on a full day to install it if this is your first time.) Beyond that, all of the exhaust work can be done piece-by-piece. If you'd like to keep at least one stock cat, look into "shorty" downpipes. This will give you the benefits of reduced back-pressure and still make it easy to keep the emission folks happy.

If you're not too concerned about emissions, any 3" full-length downpipe will suffice. Look for used parts on places like NASIOC. It's not uncommon to pick up these parts for a song when used. Beyond that, pick a cat back that meets your sound and looks criteria. Of course you can swap everything out at once with a full TBE system too. :) And yes, the Impreza wagon is exactly what you're looking for. To be honest, I think the exhaust is the same on the sedan as well. (Any wagon owners wanna chime in on that one?)

After that, make sure you correct your tuning with (preferably) an open source tune.

Good luck and have fun choosing!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Post by 4X4R8D »

I've been really looking at the Grimmspeed Uppipe. Thoughts?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

4X4R8D wrote:I've been really looking at the Grimmspeed Uppipe. Thoughts?
With a stock turbo, the grimspeed isn't going to offer you anything that the OEM STi UP won't do for much less.

Get an STi UP for ~$50 and pocket the remaining $129... or spend that $129 on a DP and have them both for the same coin.

Just my .02USD, YMMV.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

4X4R8D wrote:I've been really looking at the Grimmspeed Uppipe. Thoughts?
Grimmspeed is good.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

With an STi up pipe or a more expensive one with an integrted flex section, you will see lots of benefits. Replacing the downpipe will give you some as well. At that point, you would need to start some tuning or engine management to take full advantage of the easier breathing system. No need to change your rear section unless you tweak the ECU, no need to draw attention to yourself over what the car can already do.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

I am running an ebay 3" CBE and love it. I also have a clean STI CBE sitting around.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Reiterating much of what people have said above:
You'll definitely want to replace the UP, as it will gain you a little power and a lot of spool (a couple hundred RPM). If you are worried about passing emissions, a shorty down pipe (the downpipe referenced in the picture below) is the way to go. Bell mouth or divorced are generally the ones you want to look for. You can also buy a catted downpipe which will, generally, replace the pipe all the way back to the catback. These are my general recommendation since you eliminate a cat, but still keep one so you can pass emissions. When replacing a downpipe, full or shorty, make sure that it will mate up properly to the rest of your exhaust. There are flat flanges and donut flanges. If in doubt, feel free to ask here.

BTW, the Up Pipe is definitely not something that you should take on by yourself. Feel free to tell us when you are going to do it and we'll try to help you! Whenever you decide to do a full exhaust (aka, a turbo back), make sure to get a tune. Honestly, I'm completely catless and have a 4" to a 3" system and it's very quiet. I have a Ebay downpipe and a Borla Hush catback.

Cliff Notes:
Replace your UP (small gains in power, big gains in spool)
Buy a full catted downpipe if you are worried about emissions (large gains in power (50HP), small gain in spool)

Reference:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've got a 2.0 liter WRX and I got great results from a non-catted UP, a 2.5" divorced waste gate DP and tune. any UP with a flex section is good, you don't need to spend big money. I've since swapped the turbo to a 16G along with new injectors, fuel pump, and more tuning. It was an interesting experience and the car is faster, but I wouldn't do it over again. a Stage 2 WRX (even a 2.0l) is a fantastic car and is PLENTY fast for the street. it will spool quick and it will last a long time if you treat it right.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

stage 2 is plenty for most daily driven subies that see very light (if any) "high performance" duty. if you want to retain a stock look, there are several options to consider. technically, stage 2 is no more than a downpipe and a reflash. you could retain the stock cat/mid/muffler if you want. or, you could consider a "stealthback" setup.
-Ben
4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Post by 4X4R8D »

I really like zaxrex idea about keeping the stock exhaust...Well, I bit the bullet and picked up a Grimmspeed standard Uppipe. I did a lot of research and with my past experience. I wanted an uppipe that I can continue modding with, if things change.

Now I need to get some ideas on a DP shorty, or may in look into the whole DP system. I am not too worry with emissions. But I also don't want to be heard all they way down the Street. Sabre I definitely want to check out your setup. I have ran catless before with my B18Vtec swap. It was fun and all, especially setting off people car alarm. But it didn't help getting pulled over in 95 north traffic, by a trooper. I beat the ticket in court by showing the judge my recent emissions. Trooper wasn't too happy, oh well. So, I took the Test pipe off and swapped my cat back on... I guess I am getting old...

Suggestions on a DP would be great.

I also want to learn more about the open source tuning.

Oh yeah, when the time comes for the install, I want to shoot for doing the work on Ft. Belvoir, utilizing their lift. But, if there are other suggestions for location, let me know. I am not afraid to get dirty, and guidance with experience helps a lot. I've done a lot of work with my previous truck clubs.

Again, thanks a lot for the input.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

We have a meet coming up in a week, feel free to come by and take a listen!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Congrats on the Up purchase. You might think about heat wrapping it. I think I must have picked up the last catted shorty from Cosworth but they have a few catless shorty's left for "cheap". http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Prodrive ... 2a04f1a62f These originally went for hundreds of dollars but they are clearing out old stock for rediculous prices.
4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Post by 4X4R8D »

thermobox wrote:Congrats on the Up purchase. You might think about heat wrapping it. I think I must have picked up the last catted shorty from Cosworth but they have a few catless shorty's left for "cheap". http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Prodrive ... 2a04f1a62f These originally went for hundreds of dollars but they are clearing out old stock for rediculous prices.
I picked up the coated version of th UP, so I wouldn't have to thermo wrap. But I will thermo wrap DP, when I find one.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I coated and wrapped my UP and DP. but I'm always concerned about heat with a turbo car and a TMIC.
as always: if you need something wrapped I'm a wrapper. :mrgreen: