Jet Hot Coating

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Jet Hot Coating

Post by Sabre »

Thought you all might find this article interesting.
Header surface temperatures were a whole ’nother story, however. We checked header-tube surface temperatures both at idle and—in an attempt to simulate part-throttle, sustained cruise conditions—at 3,200 rpm with a light, 60 lb-ft load applied to the dyno’s water-brake. In both cases, the coated headers cut the painted set’s surface temperatures by over 50 percent. In a real car, this would significantly reduce both coolant and underhood temperatures. In the dyno-cell, we could actually touch the coated headers with our bare hands within 5-7 minutes after engine shut-down!
While on a NA engine, this would have a negligible effect, on turbo'ed engines, this keeps our spool up.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Jet Hot Coating

Post by sirwilliam »

Hmm...so now I have to coat the inside of my downpipe, too? That will be a real PITA. I think I will just take my chances with the outer portion of my DP coated in Black Satin.

Thanks for the article. Very good stuff to know. Maybe I will keep my EQL headers since they are ceramic coated inside and out :D
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Jet Hot Coating

Post by zaxrex »

sirwilliam wrote:Hmm...so now I have to coat the inside of my downpipe, too? That will be a real PITA. I think I will just take my chances with the outer portion of my DP coated in Black Satin.

Thanks for the article. Very good stuff to know. Maybe I will keep my EQL headers since they are ceramic coated inside and out :D
Only need to coat the inside of a mild steel pipe. If you have SS, it has higher corrosion and thermal fatigue resistance than the cheap metal. So pay for the good stuff once, or pay over and over for the cheap ones.
Jet Hot is OK, but if you are going for the absolute best, then you have to give it to Swain Tech Coatings. Different league than Jet Hot, they will treat piston skirts and bearings with high wear, low friction applications too. Bad ass
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears