axelback suggestions <-- bout' to hit stage II yo!

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

UpgreyD
I'm a n000b

axelback suggestions <-- bout' to hit stage II yo!

Post by UpgreyD »

OK so I'm about to take the plunge and grab a cobb ap, and a turboXS turboback for my 07 rex. Being an apartment dweller in DC, I figured I might as well have either P tuning or Mach V do the install. . .

Anywho, just looking for suggestions as to which can to stick on the end. I don't want a grapefruit shooter, but I want to be able to heard all that money I put into it! Drone is a no go for me, as a good friend has a drony rs and it kills me. The Cobb sounds great, but I cant seem to get a deal on it and its pretty expensive. maybe the XS stealthback? Stromung?

Side note, does anybody know what P tuning charges for labor?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: axelback suggestions <-- bout' to hit stage II yo!

Post by Mr Kleen »

i love my turbo xs can. i'm pretty sure it's a magnaflo with their name stamped on it. :lol:
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

UpgreyD wrote:OK so I'm about to take the plunge and grab a cobb ap, and a turboXS turboback for my 07 rex. Being an apartment dweller in DC, I figured I might as well have either P tuning or Mach V do the install. . .
wrong.

even a moderate-level tinkerer like myself can install a tbe. just set aside a few hours and some of us would probably help out.

keep looking for a cobb. it's got the sweetest sound imo, while retaining a stockish look and no droning at highway speeds. i had a cobb tbe on my former sti. loved it.
-Ben
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

If you want to be uber safe. Pick-up an SPT cat-back.
There were a lot of great deals out there some time ago, I'm sure you will find something cheap.

I have to give my standard cheap bastard pitch:
How much power are you looking for?
If you don't plan to go much further than stage 2 (or even stg 4 if you have a WRX; TD05/16G of vf series turbo turbo)
Don't bother spending $1,000+ on a turbo-back exhaust.
Grab a shorty down-pipe: Stomung has one for $220 and MacDad has one for $239. Keep your stock mid-pipe cat and bolt-on a cat-back of your choice.
There are several folks in our group who are making very good power off theses kinds of set-ups. I'm one of them.

OK, pitch is over. Buy what you want.
UpgreyD
I'm a n000b

Post by UpgreyD »

thats very true drwrx and I'm also a cheapo. My ultimate goal is to toss an 18g or probably a 20g on the 2.5 l to finish off the power quest. I figured going 3 inches all the way back would be a good way to plan for that. but I've also heard that keeping the pipes as open as possible is not as important as the dealers would have you think. There's always bling factor ....
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

surewinproducts v2 3" catback
here

my thread about it:
http://forums.dcawd.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7939

you will need Kartboy xl hangers. I can help you install if you can make it to Arlington?
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

To stay at a stealth quiet level go w/ a stock STi OEM axleback...a little bit more sound, go w/ the prodrive 2.5 axleback, and even more sound go w/ the TXS 2.5" or 3" axlebacks.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

I have an STI axle back siting around...

also no need to get an AP, go to http://www.xpttuning.com/index.php?main ... ex&cPath=9 and buy a map
UpgreyD
I'm a n000b

Post by UpgreyD »

I've actually been following the surewin exhaust on Nasioc, but I'm still hesitant that its not the highest quality product -> will it rust off?

I've liked the AP for some time due to its ease of use and ability to easily clear CEL's etc. I also just don't have the hardware to install Opensource maps myself.

As for not paying for an install, I'm all for that as I love to do as much work as possible myself. But like I said, I'd be at the mercy of a memeber and their driveway/know-how seeing as how I've never messed with exhaust plumbing.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I want to make sure we're all on the same page.
Are you driving a 2002-2007 WRX oar a 2008-2010?
If your running a 08-10 the exhaust pluming from the turbo-back is different than on the previous versions.
Since your avatar uses the image of the 08-10 you need to be certain your exhaust will fit.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

My suggestion is always Borla since I love the deep sound and the VERY quiet nature of the product. I have the Hush and am very pleased. Quiet on the road and yet it is a full 3" exhaust that is free flowing with a deep growl when you get on it.

BTW, We're always up for installs :) It's usually just a problem of finding a good date for everyone. A TBE can be installed in a couple of hours by two people though, so not too hard to coordinate :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
UpgreyD
I'm a n000b

Post by UpgreyD »

No I just thought the wrx t-rex was funny. I 've got a 2007 wrx

Isn't the VS regular muffler just a repackaged borla?
UpgreyD
I'm a n000b

Post by UpgreyD »

*XS muffler
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

just paint the the surewin exhuast and it won't rust...that's what I am doing and most have done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

UpgreyD wrote:Isn't the Turbo XS regular muffler just a repackaged borla?
No, it's a 2.5" Magnaflow. If you can find a used axle-back for $100-$150 it's worth a grab.

You may want to come out to a meet that goob_os101 is attending and see and hear his surewin exhaust.
Its made by 100% T-304 Stainless steel so rusting shouldn't be an issue. If it looks and sounds nice/safe I would look no further.
For $200 it's a steal
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

$50 in additional parts

(4) Kartboy XL hangers @ $10 from IAG
(1) can of VHT flame proof @ $10 AutoZone

Even at $250...you can't beat it! 3" piping and it is a flat flange so it can mate to a 2.5" stock cat or any 3" DP

you should come out to Ft Myer this Saturday @ 9am

BTW I flameproof'd the CBE tonight and it is stealthy :nana: (pics soon)
UpgreyD
I'm a n000b

Post by UpgreyD »

anyone think I'll have boost creep issues with the XS turbo back setup? might land one used on the cheap after all. I've read that theres got to be a cat soemwhere in the the exhaust system to provide enough pressure, but does it matter where? some DP's seem to have them in pretty much stock location, but the XS set has it further along. Think that'll be a prob? I guess subaru gave my 07 a bigger pill?! haha normally thats not a bad thing ..

And flame proofing or not, I'd still like to see and hear a surewin as they've seem to come out of nowhere. Can't make it sat though ...
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

A used TXS (turbo-back or stealth-back) is a good choice if you can find one.
Boost creep is not that common an issue and I am a big advocate of having a cat as far down the stream as possible, especially if you are planing on adding a larger turbo.
Helix makes a down-pipe with the cat in the first cat position and isn't that expensive ($375).
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

I am going to be running a Bosal Shorty DP with a DWG, a stock cat, STI UP.

From experience the TXS is a much louder system.

anytime you're in the Arlington area shot me a call and I can show you the exhaust.

703-798-9725

-Jeremy (aka Goob)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

UpgreyD wrote:anyone think I'll have boost creep issues with the XS turbo back setup? might land one used on the cheap after all. I've read that theres got to be a cat soemwhere in the the exhaust system to provide enough pressure, but does it matter where? some DP's seem to have them in pretty much stock location, but the XS set has it further along. Think that'll be a prob? I guess subaru gave my 07 a bigger pill?! haha normally thats not a bad thing ..

And flame proofing or not, I'd still like to see and hear a surewin as they've seem to come out of nowhere. Can't make it sat though ...
There is an easy way to fix boost creep if you do get it: Just get a tune :) There are cheap Open Source maps available for your setup and it will give you a much better running car too!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
UpgreyD
I'm a n000b

Post by UpgreyD »

Well the used turbo XS turboback seems like its going to happen :nana:

I'm still concerned about creep seeing as how i have a 2007 wrx with the smaller restrictor pill. According to cobb's site, you can't just tune that out and insist that you absolutely need a cat. Which is fine. But you need one in the downpipe according to them. My only issue now is to make sure that the XS cat will work ok and not cuase the ECU to flip out with cat efficiency errors and wastgate creep. I like the idea of opensource maps, but I also really like that the AP can read and block CEL's and easily revert back to safer or OEM maps on the fly, as well as help diagnose things like creep without having to go back to the tuner or break out a laptop. I also seem to have bad luck with hyper terminals. Anyone whink I'll creep with a big ol' 4" DP and a cat further down the chain?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

UpgreyD wrote:Anyone whink I'll creep with a big ol' 4" DP and a cat further down the chain?
It's always possible. Honestly, it totally depends on your car, the weather and a million other things. Creep usually happens in the winter with the denser charge, so I wouldn't worry too much. As far as not being able to tune around it: Hogwash!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
UpgreyD
I'm a n000b

Post by UpgreyD »

Thats what I'm thinking. Schweeeeeeet!