07 wrx d/p questions

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

mm i dont believe i have any of that. although i might be running rich w/ the AP OTS stg2 map. also, this morning when i started my car, it was like 45-50 degrees outside. but anyways, i started my car and went to put stuff in my trunk and i noticed that like i could see the exhaust gases. kinda looks like what you would usually see on a cold day.is that normal on a catless d/p and when first starting the car in the mornings?
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

What you are seeing is water vapor. The more of that you see, the less unburnt hydrocarbons you have.

That in of itself is not an accurate "tuning method", but you sure as hell can smell unburnt gases from running rich.

You really need a wideband O2 to see when you are rich and lean.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

zaxrex wrote:What you are seeing is water vapor. The more of that you see, the less unburnt hydrocarbons you have.

That in of itself is not an accurate "tuning method", but you sure as hell can smell unburnt gases from running rich.

You really need a wideband O2 to see when you are rich and lean.
So dont worry about the gases i see in the morning. and i think im gonna stick with the OTS map for a while. I know that in order to get real AFR readings, i need a real wideband sensor.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

If you on an AP OTS map you should be fine. The run abit rich but are known to be safer than other tunes. My rex is catless and if its reasonably cool out the same happens visually. But I can always smell abit of unburnt fuel. :lol:
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

Yeh im in stg2 OTS 93 octane. maybe i should get a cold air intake and lean out the AFR! :roll:
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

wrxSIN wrote:Yeh im in stg2 OTS 93 octane. maybe i should get a cold air intake and lean out the AFR! :roll:
The K&N Typhoon short-ram intake comes with a pretty good heat shield, despite not being a true 'cold-air' intake.

The difference between the two really comes down to personal preference.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The only intakes I would recommend w/o a tune are the K&N Typhoon (which has been proven to make +10whp and +12 lb.ft) and the SPT which makes a bit less. Both come with heat sheilds and neither affect the MAF sensor.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

the intake was a joke =P i dont plan on getting an intake any time soon.