My used APS 65mm CAI and my rejuvenation write up

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

My used APS 65mm CAI and my rejuvenation write up

Post by sirwilliam »

After many months contemplating setups and deciding what route I want to go w/ my intake, I came across a used APS 65mm CAI. I got it used from a vendor. I got everything and it definitely shows it was used. Here are some pics showing the initial condition of the CAI:

I first wanted to make sure I had all the parts so I was informed of this link: APS 65mm CAI Info Page

I decided that the filter was a little too used for me so I measured the K&N filter that came w/ the APS CAI and then went to the K&N website to find a replacement filter. It was found in the universal cone filter section.

Here is the link to the replacement filter: RU-3130

And some pics of the new RU-3130 K&N filter box (b/c who doesn’t like pics!):

Here is a pic of the new filter next to the old used filter (exact match!!! :) ):

While I was on the K&N site page for the RU-3130, I noticed that at the bottom there were other links to filters. Turns out there are different pre-filters (aka prechargers) you can get to go over the K&N filter to increase time between cleanings. I ended up getting a black and a blue pre-filter (mesh type vs. the foam). FYI, the pre-filters only restrict air flow by 2%.

Here is a link to the black pre-filter:
22-8032PK

Here is a link to the blue pre-filter:
RU-3130PL

The blue was back ordered so I only have pics of the black prefilter installed:

I also decided to repaint the APS intake pipe blue to make it look new and to match the WRB:

That is it for now but later I will show:

1) the repaint job where the intake is blue w/ the blue prefilter installed
2) installation on my ’08 FSXT
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Nice write-up! Thanks Will!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

you need to bring the forester to a meet. i wanna see it in person.

i also have an aps cai.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

groupies :roll:

:lol:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

chicken n waffles wrote:you need to bring the forester to a meet. i wanna see it in person.

i also have an aps cai.
Hmm...yeah, I guess the last couple Vinny's meets where I brought my FSXT, you haven't been at. Yeah, I should hopefully have the newly blue APS CAI installed before the next meet I go to.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
chicken n waffles

Sabre wrote:groupies :roll:

:smack:
-Ben
chicken n waffles

sirwilliam wrote:
chicken n waffles wrote:you need to bring the forester to a meet. i wanna see it in person.

i also have an aps cai.
Hmm...yeah, I guess the last couple Vinny's meets where I brought my FSXT, you haven't been at. Yeah, I should hopefully have the newly blue APS CAI installed before the next meet I go to.
you coming to the gift exchange meet next week?

(look in the events section)
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

chicken n waffles wrote:

Hey, at least I didn't say buttbuddies.... oh wait...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
chicken n waffles

Sabre wrote:
chicken n waffles wrote:

Hey, at least I didn't say buttbuddies.... oh wait...
:postwhore:

in my defense, my (used) sti came with the aps cai already installed.

*runs*
-Ben
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

chicken n waffles wrote: you coming to the gift exchange meet next week?
Unfortunately, not. I will be in PA.

But back on topic...

There are two varieties of pre-filters: Mesh (like I have above) and Foam. The mesh has an elastic band at the bottom to hold it on whereas the foam only wraps around and attaches using velcro.

chicken n waffles

back off topic,

DAMN YOU
-Ben
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, I am waiting for my family to come down to VA (wife's uncle passed away a year ago...and her family does a honoring/memorial ceremony)...I am by myself, bored, it is cold, and about to rain...

...so, I picked up some Martell Cordon Blue and decided to paint my APS blue :wiggle:

I will update w/ pics...maybe even have time to install it? :mrgreen:

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, here are some crappy shots of it hanging downstairs in the basement to dry. I am not going to rush this so I will just let it hang there for a while. Two of the pics are with flash and one w/o. The blue in the ones w/ the flash is not the shade it really looks like, it is much darker like the one pic w/o the flash (FYI).

midnit
Unicycle

Post by midnit »

Looks fresh man!

I'd like to get an intake for my STI, just not sure what is the best choice to go with...
chicken n waffles

get a perrin short ram. the power gains won't be noticeable enough to justify a cai. plus, if you ever decide to go with a fmic, you'll need to make room for it by getting the stock airbox out of the way, anyway.
-Ben
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

NOTE: color didn't come out as planned...will probably be purchasing a can of WRB from mail order soon. I am dreading taking this thing back out to repaint...but oh well

Okay, so the install really was a PITA. I never want to do that again. Of course it is all in and the color doesn't match and I really DO NOT feel like taking it back out again...but I will. First impression is I got my CAI whoosh back but seems like the acceleration is a little smoother but I will have to wait until the ECU gets used to it plus I just ran around the block so I didn't get a real good feel for it yet.

Here is the car all nice and clean waiting for me to bother it w/ a new part:

Step 1: Open engine hood and get some pre-install shots. Sorry, engine is filthy.

Step 2: Brake out trusty OEM jack and remove wheel.

Step 3: Remove all those push/screw pins holding on the wheel well cover/liner to get access to snorkus.

Step 4: Remove airbox from engine bay and snorkus from wheel well.

Step 5: Curse, scream, ask God for forgiveness and strength and patience..., curse some more, bend metal and voila! Intake is in w/ Samco hose w/ a blue that the CAI should have been

Step 6-11: Put all pieces back together and wheel back on...oh, and if you feel so inclined drop a couple pieces into the engine so you can take the undertray off to get them. :roll: :lol:

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Good stuff! Great contribution Will. At some point, if I ever start to mod the Forester, this may have to be on the list. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, if you ever need help, Jason, I can help you out. I know your vehicle pretty well.

Also, want to add that the K&N filter is too close to the support bar (shown in this picture below next to snorkus) :

There is an annoying knocking sound. I am going to have to remove everything again to put some buffer/rubber between the support bracket and the filter clamp. :censor:

The intake feels pretty good on acceleration but not sure how the "swooshing" will pass the wife's approval. We shall see this weekend otherwise the stock intake goes back in :roll:

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, broke out the tools and the jack yesterday (got a chance b/c my son was taking a nap). I ended up wrapping automotive 3/4" black reinforced rubber hose around the brace in the picture posted in the previous post. It was a tight fit so I used some pliers to pull it between. I wrapped some duct tape around it and the brace to hold it in place. Not pretty but it works. There was definite rubbing/wear marks where the brace is so I know that is the culprit. After driving 160 miles there is no more rattle! :D I think this is only a problem on the XT b/c I haven't heard anyone having a problem when installing it in the WRX. Sorry, didn't get a chance to snap pictures so you will all have to use your imagination.