Catch can install

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Catch can install

Post by Phibs »

Got a catch can from Mach5 ( sorry Will, they take credit cards! ) and the diagrams are hard to read and the instructions are totally in Japanese. I have the mount installed next to the battery, just need to figure out where to connect the tubes to on the 05 STI. Looks like the tubing they included is not long enough but I can figure that part out. So stock 05 STI, what is the recommended location to keep the oil/crap outa my turbo/IC?
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

No problem. My dual kit is already called for. :wink: As far as mounting locations, you can put it anywhere as long as the tubing doesn't get kinked and/or melted. Check out scoobymods.com for any instructions. CC is pretty easy but some of the tubing sometimes might need some heating up in the oven on low heat to get it more pliable. CC is always a good thing...congrats!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Nod, I need to know what lines to hook it up to on the STI, sposedly it was odd. Anyone done it or know? I heard of issues when people T'd lines and mixed two separate vacuum systems b/c they run @ different pressures/times.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Phibs wrote:Nod, I need to know what lines to hook it up to on the STI, sposedly it was odd. Anyone done it or know? I heard of issues when people T'd lines and mixed two separate vacuum systems b/c they run @ different pressures/times.
No it is the same as the WRX and forester. Pretty straight forward and very easy to do.

You don't have to do this location but it will show you where to connect the hoses: CC INSTALL LINKY

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

don't forget to put some media into the catch can to hold the oil from being carried right through and back into the system. I've seen some recommend a lawn mower foam air filter, others have recommended using a brillo pad.

and before you ask: no, I haven't installed a catch can in the WRX yet.

good luck on the install, I want to check it out at the next meet.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:don't forget to put some media into the catch can to hold the oil from being carried right through and back into the system. I've seen some recommend a lawn mower foam air filter, others have recommended using a brillo pad.

and before you ask: no, I haven't installed a catch can in the WRX yet.

good luck on the install, I want to check it out at the next meet.
Yeah, lawn mower filter media is a better choice. You can pick that up at any home depot or lowes.

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

I don't believe mine is ... serviceable :( WHen I shake it I hear something though so maybe they put media in it for me. ( Cusco ) SPosedly to do it right on the STI you require two catch cans so I'll get a bette one for #2.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Phibs wrote:I don't believe mine is ... serviceable :( WHen I shake it I hear something though so maybe they put media in it for me. ( Cusco ) SPosedly to do it right on the STI you require two catch cans so I'll get a bette one for #2.
What kind did you get? Post the link from MachV.

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Cusco, half size.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Phibs wrote:I don't believe mine is ... serviceable :(
if you can't open it how do you empty it, dump it out the inlet hoses? I'm willing to bet there's some way to open it. maybe...
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Mr Kleen wrote:
Phibs wrote:I don't believe mine is ... serviceable :(
if you can't open it how do you empty it, dump it out the inlet hoses? I'm willing to bet there's some way to open it. maybe...
The liquid level tube is removable, that is the recommended way afaik.

http://www.jazzproparts.com/product_p/00b009hb.htm

It is this part, but half that height.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I bet it's internally baffled to catch the oil. Most of the new CC out are doing that rather than requiring people to throw something inside.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.