TMIC thread as suggested by Zorro

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

TMIC thread as suggested by Zorro

Post by Phibs »

So, I bought an SSA TMIC on the recommendation from Darrin. ( Ebay special ). It fits nice, looks nice, and came with all the components I needed to do the install. Since it seems that a lot of you are non-believers, let's here some stories and see some pics that prove that a larger generic TMIC is not as good or better than stock. ( I'm definitely curious as I don't want a bad quality product on my car )
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I'm not certain I could possibly cram all the information that is available into one post but here is my basic understanding:

Core size and efficiency are the most important issues.

The core size is easy, the bigger is usually better unless it is inefficient.
The only simple way to check efficiency is to rate the pressure drop. Most will give a rating of some kind (usually measured like less than .5lbs at 14psi). The lower the ratio, the more efficient.

There are a number of other issues that enter the equation; location, tubing, etc. but those are outside the scope of this discussion. And to stop the "build quality" issue before it arises, if the build quality is poor its efficiency will suffer. So if your arguement is "poor build quality," you better be able to back that up with pressure drop numbers.

The only other issue that should be discussed is the type and there are two: "Bar and Plate" and "Tube and Fin" (I'm only talking about air to air intercoolers and NOT water to air)

Both have pluses and minuses:

Tube and Fin:
+ Generally inexpensive
+ Light
+ Cools faster after heat soak
- Heat Soaks quicker
- More easily damaged
- Generally less efficienct than bar and plate

Bar and Plate:
- Heavy
- Expensive
- Cools Slower after heat soak
+ Heat soaks slower
+ Stronger
+ Generally more efficienct

Now in every IC test I have ever seen of a stock WRX or STi TMIC against another type of TMIC the stock has ALWAYS come out behind. The tests covered a range, including; efficiency, flow capacity, intercooler temps, heat soak, air temp drop, and of course Power Increase.

Now, I have only seen three tests and they were with APS, Hyperflow and AVO and only against Stock WRX or STi TMICs. But, the tests had remarkably similar results in every case. Each involved using the same car tuned for each intercooler and were then run through a series of tests and in every case, the stock TMICs had lower peak power, heat soaked faster, had higher core temps and output temps both on the dyno and on the street.

Here is some core-size data:

02-04 WRX: 16.25" x 6" x 3" = 292

STi: 18.5" x 7.25 x 3" = 402

TurboXS/Hyperflow:
Length:  19 1/8"
Width:  7 3/8"
Depth:  4.5"
Volume = 634 cubic inches

APS:
20.07" x 7.5" x 4.5"
Volume=677

AVO:
16.25" x 7" x 4.5"
volume =511.875

vishnu
18.5 x 6.5 x 4.5
volume=541.125

Helix:
18.9" x 7.9" x 4" 600 cu

SSautochrome / no-name Ebay brand:
20" x 7.5" x 4.5"
volume =675

Intercooler cores are NOT particularly complicated things, and what became apparent in the tests was that the stock Tube and Fin designs performed very similarly to each other as did the Bar and Plate designed units. The biggest issue was "Core Size" it really does make a difference. If you want to push a large amount of highly compressed air, you need a large core to cool it and it was clear that the bigger the core the better the cooling. It really is just that simple!

I will also say this: The power differences between the APS and the Hyperflow over the STi were nearly identical, so while the APS was 7% larger it didn't add up to any noticeable increase, so I don't think anyone needs to jump to a slightly larger core size just because "it's bigger!"
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Oh damn, the Dr has spoken I didn't even need to research ;) All of that information seems to be my understanding as well as I've read on various sites. Thanks Darrin!
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Oh, and for those who are curious as to the crazy, freaky massive size of my TMIC, here it is:

21" x 8" x 4.5"
volume =756

And yes it barely fits in the engine bay. And it is also the most difficult TMIC I have EVER installed! It actually takes three people to do it right. If I had to do it over again, I would get something else!
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

drwrx wrote:Oh, and for those who are curious as to the crazy, freaky massive size of my TMIC, here it is:

21" x 8" x 4.5"
volume =756

And yes it barely fits in the engine bay. And it is also the most difficult TMIC I have EVER installed! It actually takes three people to do it right. If I had to do it over again, I would get something else!
Yeah that thing looks beastly in your engine bay and the bay has the scratch marks to show for it! Honestly the SSA was very easy to install and reinstall, as I have had to remove it about 6 times now since installation ;)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Ok seriously though, where are the folks who say the SSA sucks and it's made from chinese beer cans and will rust and fall apart on me?
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Phibs wrote:Ok seriously though, where are the folks who say the SSA sucks and it's made from chinese beer cans and will rust and fall apart on me?
It's made from Chinese beer cans, assembled by child slaves, and it's cheap, but it should work fine.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:lol2:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

hotsam wrote:
Phibs wrote:Ok seriously though, where are the folks who say the SSA sucks and it's made from chinese beer cans and will rust and fall apart on me?
It's made from Chinese beer cans, assembled by child slaves, and it's cheap, but it should work fine.
Image LOL! What is the Subaru one made with? ;)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Phibs wrote:What is the Subaru one made with? ;)
It's made with JDM beer cans, what else? It's mAd tyte, yo!

--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Colin had good experiences with his SSA FMIC, but then again it's Colin: he didn't own the car that long after the install :rolllaugh:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:shock: :ohsnap: :pinto:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote:Colin had good experiences with his SSA FMIC, but then again it's Colin: he didn't own the car that long after the install :rolllaugh:

:rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh:

wait... is he making teh funneh of me?? :headsmack: :on2me:

(I was pleased with the SSAC FMIC. So was the guy I sold teh car to. He's still got it, 20k miles later. YMMV.)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

OK, their intercoolers may work well, but SSA got off to a bad start with their exhaust manifolds and other hot pipe offerings. they really shot themselves in the foot on quality, fitment, and required parts.

Glad to see that they work better in Al than steel.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears