dp that are emisions freindly

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

boomee
Tricycle

dp that are emisions freindly

Post by boomee »

are there downpipes that are virginia emisions freindly ? for all of us subaru 2.5 owners?
just curious
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Well, depends on your definition of "friendly" ;) Yes, there are catted DP's and there are ways to make them pass emissions. I have a catted DaddySCP DP. If your car still threw a code with that, you could add a resistor to help things along...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

IIRC resistor mods won't pass OBDII.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Basically, ones that are made for your car, don't have a gaping hole or cutoff, and have a working CAT.

Helix
COBB
Invidia
Perrin
Prodrive
Bosal
Stromung

...etc.

Many options for you.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Airport authority cops HATE the cobb apparently in VA :)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Actually, you only need to worry about a "sniffer" test if your car is older than model year 1995. For any car with an OBD II computer, the emissions inspection simply involves hooking their computer to your car. No tailpipe test at all.

So, essentially, you can get any downpipe you want as long as:

a) It doesn't cause your rear O2 sensor to throw a check engine light (CEL)

OR

b) You use an anti-fouler to place your rear O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream - thereby preventing it from throwing a CEL

--Alan
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Truth.

Get any DP you want, we can help you get it passed the electronic test. If they do a visual, well then you are screwed.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Here is a link to what appears to be a CATTED Invidia DP for $300 picked up...local in your neck of the woods. I say get it!

IWSTI LINKY
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

thnks will ill check into it
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Here's the problem in a nutshell.
Federal law prohibits removal or tampering of ANY working catalytic converter. VA follows the Fed. So, any exhaust that removes ANY functioning cats will be "technically" a violation and NOT legal.

That being said, FFX as well as most other VA inspections have gone to OBDII testing, and as long as your vehicle passes OBDII emissions test, you will pass emissions. Now, a strict inspector may fail you on the visual inspection, but that would be rare. I have never been.

Cobb's AP as well as any reflash will remove the CEL signals for the cat innefficiency codes and it will not be picked-up by a OBDII scan, so you can be safe that way. You could also use the mechanical fix for the rear o2 sesnsor to pass as well if you don't have an AP or been reflashed.

If you already have an AP or you have your codes blocked via a reflash, you can get any down-pipe you like, even catless, and still pass emissions inspection. However, if you do run catless your exhaust will smell of gas and you can get nailed.

My favorite down-pipes for those who want to still keep a cat and pay as little as possible are the Stromung, Bosal or Oakos "shorty" down-pipes. The Stromung is $195, the Oakos is $143, and the Bosal $229, and comes with gaskets. These all bolt-up to the 1st mid-pipe and allow you to keep your 2nd cat, which is the least restrictive.

They are only 2.5" as opposed to 3", but I will say that I had a bosal dp on my WRX for a number of years with the stock cat mid-pipe, and had it tuned at 262 whp and 264 ftlbs. I later got a bellmouth 3" downpipe and had a hi-flow metal substrate cat welded in and re-dynoed at 264 whp and 264 ftlbs. Yep, basically the same as I put down with the Bosal 2.5" down-pipe and stock mid cat-pipe. I'm currently running my vf22 powered FXT with the Oakos down-pipe and stock mid cat-pipe and I'm putting down some serious power with it.

Matt's 05 LGT uses the Stromung shorty dp with the stock mid cat-pipe and he is making very impressive power, 260+whp and 290+ftlbs.

So you can buy a Cobb catted dp for $600. Perhaps you'll save $270 and grab a Helix for $330. Or maybe you can grab that used one for $300. Or maybe you'll just grab an Oakos shorty dp for $143 and save some serious cash.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re:

Post by avriette »

drwrx wrote:Or maybe you'll just grab an Oakos shorty dp for $143 and save some serious cash.
Am I understanding this correctly, that the Oakos both makes power and won't fail emissions? Will it foul the O2S? The other question is, if I go with the SPT intake, have the SPT catback, and this Oakos dp, does the ECU need a little tweaking? Is this the appropriate order to do things in? What about the cold side? If I go up a couple pounds in boost and update the exhaust, do I need more cooling capacity up front?
rocket scientist
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Re:

Post by drwrx »

avriette wrote:Am I understanding this correctly, that the Oakos both makes power and won't fail emissions? Will it foul the O2S? The other question is, if I go with the SPT intake, have the SPT catback, and this Oakos dp, does the ECU need a little tweaking? Is this the appropriate order to do things in? What about the cold side? If I go up a couple pounds in boost and update the exhaust, do I need more cooling capacity up front?
If by "won't fail emissions" you mean It won't throw a CEL than no. However, if you have been reflashed to hide the cat inefficientcy code than yes, it will pass. (My FXT just passed this month).

My FXT has a clipped and ported VF22, oakos down-pipe, gutted up-pipe, WBR cat-back and STi TMIC running on a reflash.
I passed FCC VA emissions inspection w/o any problems. The guy even said he liked the sound of it.

If you put on the oakos down-pipe you may want some form of engine management, as you will throw a cat inefficientcy CEL and possibly get some boost creep issues.

If you don't want to go through the bother of getting reflashed but want to free-up some exhaust flow, you can always remove the mid-cat pipe. Bosal makes one for $127 and oakos has it in stock. This will not effect the vehicle in any way as the cat is after the rear o2 sensor.
The only reason I wasn't sold on this is that the mid-cat is the best flowing of the cats on the car and if you plan on keeping a cat in-plce that's the one to keep. The cat behind the turbo is the most restrictive and it also keeps the turbo from breathing it's best. That's why I chose to remove it.

As for cooling capacity, you should be fine with just the stock TMIC on the stock turbo, even with the increased boost.

I will make one blanket statement and then say no more. "If you have a WRX or STi and are NOT running stage two (TBE) you need to be taken out and flogged."

The power increase on a stage two WRX or STi with a tune is just amazing and can be had for very little money.
(Oakos down-pipe: $143, XPT Stage 2 - 2007 STI map $129) It's a small price to pay for another 60whp.

I'm not saying this applies to anyone here, I'm just making an open statement. (/rant)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: dp that are emisions freindly

Post by complacent »

Correct, but that's the case with most DPs.

You won't need to upgrade the cooling system for some time. (Read: 4 Track days/month)

Once you open up the intake, exhaust you will need to tune accordingly.

Hurry up and get a DP already, you're car is gagging for one. 8)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

complacent wrote:
Hurry up and get a DP already, your car is gagging for one. 8)
Sandy's the major restriction in this particular equation, and I can't very well gut or replace her! :D

(I may just do it when she's at work one day...)
rocket scientist
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

complacent wrote:Correct, but that's the case with most DPs.

You won't need to upgrade the cooling system for some time. (Read: 4 Track days/month)

Once you open up the intake, exhaust you will need to tune accordingly.

Hurry up and get a DP already, you're car is gagging for one. 8)

Anyone in the DCAWD actually hit the track? I'd love to come watch!
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

HPDE, HyperFest, RedLine Time Attack. All good fun places that open the track to people. Katie and Shawn are the auto=x king and queen. And the DCAWD auto-x course is sold out this year. Ross has the most track time in a month than most of us have in a year combined, he even has a real race car!
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Hey guys, i just realized i need an emissions test immediately... i run the ebay downpipe with an hks cat back exhaust so what can i do to pass emissions or do you think there is a chance of me passing as is?
2004 335 AWHP WRB WRX Stage 4
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

If you are not running a cat and you are not using an electrical CEL fix and you DO have a CEL - no.

If you are not running a cat and you are not using an electrical CEL fix and you DO NOT have a CEL - yes.

If you are using an electrical CEL fix - no.

Basically, so long as you do not throw a CEL, and aren't using a "wired in" CEL solution you should be fine.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

hey well I only have the cat in my up pipe but I am running a accessport so will I still throw a light??
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

02SilverWRX wrote:hey well I only have the cat in my up pipe but I am running a accessport so will I still throw a light??
well, are you? :poke: :wink: :lol:

if you have an AccessPort and you are getting a CEL then you won't pass.
if you have an AccessPort and aren't getting a CEL you will pass.

personally I sweat through the test every two years even though I have passed every time. I don't test well. :oops:
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Lol, okay i understand now, no i am not throwing a light! So i shall go get tested on tuesday hurray! Lol you dont test well :crazy:
2005 525 AWHP AW STi