spt intake do i need a tune

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

boomee
Tricycle

spt intake do i need a tune

Post by boomee »

about to purchase one do i need a tune to use it (I know it would be better to have one) basically if i install without one will it hurt my 04 fxt
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

All of the street legal SPT parts were designed to be used with the factory engine management system. You should be fine as is.

I might however recommend spending your performance dollars in other areas prior to spending them on an intake.

Just my .02USD, YMMV. :)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

But the intake is cheap and sounds grrrrrrrreat!
j/k

Oh and yes it works w/o a tune. I also believe the accessport has a map using it.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I have seen a coupple of tests run on the SPT intake and indeed it does add whp and torque w/o a tune and does not alter the air fuel ratio. The write-up did point out that you will get even more if you tune for it as well.

One of the best write-ups came from flatirons rally who did dyno runs with stock airbox, Perrin foam panel insert and the SPT intake.

"…we gained about 4 ft/lbs of torque over the stock filter with the Perrin between 3,500 rpm to 5,500 rpm, and gained about the same over the Perrin with the SPT over the stock range. All in all, the panel filter is definitely a great modification for the cost, but the SPT definitely out performs it.

When we re-set the ECU before each test, the IAM goes back to its starting point of 12. With each of the panel filters the IAM would stay up for a run or two, and then go to zero, and once it did, we couldn’t get it to come back. (One possible explanation for this is that the car was tuned with this set up, and was pushed pretty much to the max, so there wasn’t much room if any for the ECU to change anything). However, with the SPT intake, the IAM would stay at 12 no matter if we heat soaked the intercooler, or engine by doing successive pulls. Basically, the engine was telling us that it was happier with this intake than with either of the panel filters.

Kris had the feeling that with the SPT intake there was some more room for tuning, so he spent literally 10 minutes, and tinkered with a couple load sites and the result is that run. This is easily the best result, and notice that we never drop below 200 whp after about 5,000 rpm. He definitely felt that there was more power potential there, but it was too late to really explore that.

I have now been driving around with the car for a little over a week, and I can say that it does feel like there is a little more power, but more than that, it seems like the turbo is a lot quicker to spool between shifts. I also think that it feels like the car is pulling harder in the higher rpm range than before, as the dyno chart shows. Over all, I am very happy with the results, and am now sorry that it took me a few years to warm up to the idea of an intake on my WRX."

entire write-up with dyno charts is here:
http://flatironsrally.typepad.com/flati ... ng_project_/
96accord
I'm a n000b

Post by 96accord »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:I also believe the accessport has a map using it.
it does?? :?
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

I thought that I had seen it before on Cobb's website but after I checked it it was no longer there. I was sure I saw a map that was compatible w/ short ram intakes. I could be wrong though.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby