AWIC?

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

AWIC?

Post by Mr Kleen »

I was perusing the 818 forums (one day, one day...) and came across this top mount air to water intercooler made by Very Cool Parts. Makes me think, has anyone considered running one on a "normal" Subaru? At $1400 it's not cheap, but it sure is (puts on sunglasses) cool. :wink:
414.jpg
413.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: AWIC?

Post by Sabre »

There was a legacy guy on NABISCO that ran a W/A intercooler and I believe he was in the 350-400whp range. I can look up the thread if you want. Seemed to be working very well! Other than the added weight, I see no problem with it. Would be great for a stealth setup since you can get rid of the scoop!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Too much plumbing and cramped packaging usually makes air to air better. Old JDM scoobs had em at one point from the factory - http://www.autospeed.com/cms/gallery/ar ... =2775&i=12

Just doesn't really make sense for Suby's now with all of the different options available.

It's good for the 818 because you might not have proper airflow over the core and packaging is tight
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

thermobox wrote:It's good for the 818 because you might not have proper airflow over the core and packaging is tight
That was my though too. Overheating was a big problem for 911 turbos back in the day, and lots of ducting solutions were tried by many different folks.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

After posting I was thinking that this solves a problem that a normal Subaru doesn't really have.
Neat bit of kit, if one happens to own an 818 Coupe.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Yerp. Good for cars that don't normally have tmic or room for a fmic. My Vdub buddies used to make custom kits for each other on the weekends. These aren't my pals but pics of what most of em looked like - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ic-set-ups